• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Routing the Exhaust to the Side

chilibill

NAXJA Forum User
My 1990 XJ has the stock exhaust coming out the rear of the vehicle. This seems to limit the clearance when exiting a short dip or beginning a steep climb. Is there any problem with routing the exhaust to the side behind the rear tire?

cut a few inches off of the tail pipe. i went all out and cut mine right after the hanger past the muffler because mine was chattering against my hitch. i dont get any exhaust fumes in the cab from it either. HTH.

just be careful when you just slice off the tailpipe, my exhaust got so hot when i did that that it started melting the rear leafspring poly bushing

You can make a short elbow pipe and pop the exhuast out in front of the rear tire, use a hanger and bolt it to a hole in the uniframe with a self tapping bolt. I did this for a few years. Use a short muffler (cherry bomb turbo II about 14" long).

while we are on the subject of exhaust -

i was thinking of putting a side pipe on the cherokee, and sort of building the exhaust into the passenger side rock rail.

take the cut the down / "s" pipe and make the exhaust go outside the frame rail inbetween the upper and lower control arm mounts on the passenger side and running the exhaust through the rock rail on that side, and have the exhause exit the rail right in front of the rear tire...

i think the cat will fit, but my stock holy muffler will be far from fitting, so i would have to look into a cherry bomb/glasspack to take care of that.

the main issue i have with this is my mom/sister/girlfriend and all my passengers get in an out on that side, so they would be burining themselves for sure... and as my vehicle is quite a jump to the ground, most people would probably touch it on their way in and out, even if i warned them...

the reason for this is to efectively make a skid plate for my exhaust - i ripped it up pretty bad, and am not a fan of replacing parts more than once.

thoes of you who have run with my XJ know how loud my current lack of a muffler and manifold exhaust leaks are.

though, now that i think of it, i only ripped it up when i was at stock height on 235's... my exhaust is now 8" higher and tucked in more, the breakover angle is a lot less...

maybe it isnt an issue anymore?

i was gonna do the side route thing this week, but unfortunately i broke my windshield when a branch fell on me yesterday- if anyone has any pics of this id like to see them before i do it- i searched but didnt have much luck pic wise. also how would this affect performance as far a backpressure is concerned?

Back