• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rounded,broken,burried lug nut!!!!

funvtec said:
just cut it with fire its more fun than drilling! :gag:
Not more fun for an alloy rim, though :gag:

My dads good friend works at a machine shop and he told me i could spin by later and he would check it out.

Ill post back later and let u guys know how it went (fingers crossed)

Best way to get the boogered up lug out and replaced? I have a bag lug on my front axle, and thought that this would be a thread to ask in.

thanks

jeepchkee said:
Best way to get the boogered up lug out and replaced? I have a bag lug on my front axle, and thought that this would be a thread to ask in.

thanks
Do you means "stud"?

Hit it with a hammer.

Yeah, after that stainless skin comes off they're 18mm, but it took both me and the AAA guy to get those SOB's off. First thing I did the next day was get some quality Mcgard lug nuts to replace all my stock ones. This also seems to happen alot in the winter in the middle of the night :mad: No way I was gonna be in that situation again.

Eagle, thanks for response...

one more quick question..

okay this may sound stupid (and yes I ment stud... brain fart) but, "hit it with a hammer"? I am assuming I have to take the brake off and such then hit it inward. Never seen a lug/stud not mounted, so not sure of what I am doing.

Pretty much. Hit or press the threaded end.

The lug stud looks like a semi-headless bolt with splines under the "head." The "head" is rounded, and serves to keep the stud from being pressed too far into the hub - and the splines are an interference fit to hold it in place.

There are two ways to get the thing out in your driveway -
1) Wallop it with a heavy hammer. Make sure you jackstands won't move, or you're parking on the rotor! You don't have to drive the full length of the stud out - just about the thickness of the hub flange should do it.

2) If you have removed the hub (I find this easier, but that's just me,) you can use a socket that will fit over the rounded head to "catch" the stud, and use a vice or a C-clamp to press it out. I like this better - but I dislike beating on my trucks.

There's one good way to install a stud -
1) Use a (deep!) socket that will fit over the stud freely, and use a vice, C-clamp, or shop press to press the thing in until it bottoms out.

There's another "shade-tree" way to do the job...
A) Use a nut that fits, or the flat side of an open-ended lug nut. Stack some washers on the stud (a little grease on the faces will help them slip) and tighten the nut. You'll have to crank fairly hard after a while, but you should be able to develop enough pull to bottom out the head on the back of the flange.

I like to press mine in - gives me more control. But, again, that's just me...

5-90

AZ Jeff said:
Did that not trash the wheel as well?

I took a little off around the wheel stud hole but nothing major. Its a good reason now to install my black steelies that have been sitting in the garage for a year.

I've cut them out like that twice. If you use a small enough bit (just barely bigger than the lug) you can still use the rim. I still used the rims for a couple of months until I found some cheap replacements. Its by far the easiest way. I actually paid less for two "new" alloy rims than I did for the cobalt drill bit that didn't work.

what about just cutting the lug nut in half in the same direction as the stud with a dremel and cut off disk? it may cut into your wheel though. heck, even third or quarter it.

this has happend to me. i just got a drill bit little bigger then the stud and drilled out the stud past the lug nut and then pound the rest of the stud out and boguht a new one.. really easy.

perez said:
this has happend to me. i just got a drill bit little bigger then the stud and drilled out the stud past the lug nut and then pound the rest of the stud out and boguht a new one.. really easy.

I think it is a common thing, happened to me twice, two different XJs
I drilled a small hole in the stud, then a little larger, and a little larger.
Somewhere around just a little larger than 1/2" it popped off.
No damage on the wheel because the wheel hole is larger than the stud.
Hammered the remaining stud off using two hammers, one to hit and one to back up, installed the new stud and pulled it with a stack of washers.
I can think of worse jobs than that.

Back