• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

it seems there also is alot of arguing over the add-a-leaf setup sagging or not sagging. and from what have been noticing, some of the 3rd party suppliers ship rough country kits with insanely short add-a-leafs while the kit that i purchased came with a full lenght add-a-leaf.

i've been beating the snot out of my XJ with the rough country LONG add-a-leaf and have no sagging problems. so it would be really helpfull if people who are complaining about sagging specified if their add-a-leaf is short or long. maybe we could start noticing a pattern. just a thought.

GRIMUS99XJ said:
So you are saying that it has been at least six years since you ran a r/c product and you are dead set on saying it is crap when it would be understandable to say" It was crap when i ran it but it has been some time since than so I dont know " do you not think companys can grow, learn and improve there products over time or do you think we sell crap know we sell crap and dont care
Unfortunately Ive had more recent bad experiances than I care for! Ive changed out 2 of your new XJ kits for friends and even worse,last year my son bought your IFS Toyota kit.It came with the same crappy shocks,it wouldnt bolt on without being modified,it came short 1 part(you were great about that!),but you couldnt keep all that bracketry on straight for more than a day or two without re-doing it and getting another alignment!Needless to say that kit has long since been removed!

Well i ordered the 4.5" lift from jason on monday, recieved it UPS thursday at noon, installed the front thursday night and the rest of the front friday all day and the rear.

needless to say, she has her lift, no vibes no nothing, going to retorque and align right now.

thank you much jason, rough country is bad azz... and they answer the phone when you call and have stupid questions.

thanks again Jason

scorpio_vette said:
it seems there also is alot of arguing over the add-a-leaf setup sagging or not sagging. and from what have been noticing, some of the 3rd party suppliers ship rough country kits with insanely short add-a-leafs while the kit that i purchased came with a full lenght add-a-leaf.

i've been beating the snot out of my XJ with the rough country LONG add-a-leaf and have no sagging problems. so it would be really helpfull if people who are complaining about sagging specified if their add-a-leaf is short or long. maybe we could start noticing a pattern. just a thought.

You might be on to something. But you also have to consider the condition of the spring pack to begin with. My wifes 99 has 80000 miles and the stock springs are flaten out. Now when I go to put a lift (and it will be an RC one at that) I can't expect an Add-a-leaf to not only lift the jeep but to stay lifted even when the stock spring pack couldn't hold the weight. People have to look at the whole picture not just the parts that went wrong. The way I look at it is, the spring pack is only going to be as stong as the weakest leaf.

MIke

My BDS lift has a full lenghth AAL, been on for 2 years and no sag. Rear still is 1/2" higher then front. But my stock backs only had 18,780 miles on them when I put them in. I have help put AAL lifts on 3 other XJ's, but we used new HD stock packs from Quadratech and have not had any issues. All were full length AAL , 2 of them 3" Rustys and 1 Rough Country 4.5" Kit.

Mr12771 said:
You might be on to something. But you also have to consider the condition of the spring pack to begin with. People have to look at the whole picture not just the parts that went wrong. The way I look at it is, the spring pack is only going to be as stong as the weakest leaf.

MIke

X9832462982734 very well said.

got a quick question for ya grimus...

bought the 4.5" kit from ya

and well noticed that the quick disconnects for the sway bars, well they seem a bit long.

cannot get them to disconnect. i must jack up the jeep to get them to drop, i can pull this pins but they don't disco.

did i possibly get the ones for the 6.5 lift or are they supposed to be hard to disco??

well i called GRIMUS99XJ yesterday to order some new shocks for my 94xj and i must say that the customer service is topnotch. my parts will be here tomorrow and installed this weekend, i will report back on what i think of them. a friend of mine just bought a 98 xj and i will be calling back to jason to order a 3" lift from rough country.
mike

stxcherokee said:
got a quick question for ya grimus...

bought the 4.5" kit from ya

and well noticed that the quick disconnects for the sway bars, well they seem a bit long.

cannot get them to disconnect. i must jack up the jeep to get them to drop, i can pull this pins but they don't disco.

did i possibly get the ones for the 6.5 lift or are they supposed to be hard to disco??

sent you a pm

So what is the deal with the RC items at JC WHitney. It seems as that is where most of the complaints start. Is it inferior peices?? Why is the JCW stuff so much cheaper in price?? You get a lot more in the kit for less money.....get what you pay for??

I am currently shopping for a new xj kit (3"-4" range) and am having a hard time deciding.:roll:

Grimus,

Same question on the disconnects...I thought it was just something I did. Of course, I through out the directions after I installed. Its been taking me 5 minutes a side to get the disconnects back in...

Thanks!
John

Turfzilla said:
So what is the deal with the RC items at JC WHitney. It seems as that is where most of the complaints start. Is it inferior peices?? Why is the JCW stuff so much cheaper in price?? You get a lot more in the kit for less money.....get what you pay for??

I am currently shopping for a new xj kit (3"-4" range) and am having a hard time deciding.:roll:

I've got to jump on the bandwagon here and say for the money the RC 3" kit with aal's is just about impossible to beat. I got mine with the shock upgrade directly from RC. Like people say it hows up in just a few days, especially where you are. Don't mess with JC Whitney.

Turfzilla said:

alot of JCW kits come without things like shocks, pitman arm ect... depending on what lift and what package also there aal kits of ours come eith the short aal and ours direct comes with the long aal

the true flaw in our desighn is that they are a pain to connect and disconnect but there are ways to make this easier first make sure you are on level groud and second use a friend and do both sides at the same time. I like to do the upper first it gives seems to make it easier

quote=Blue96XJ]Grimus,

Same question on the disconnects...I thought it was just something I did. Of course, I through out the directions after I installed. Its been taking me 5 minutes a side to get the disconnects back in...

Thanks!
John[/quote]

X2 on the discos....

This past Friday I ordered some upgrades for my lift on the MJ...I can't say enough about how my order was handled...I got a tracking number by E-mail...and the parts arrived at my shop this morning (Tuesday)....the finish is excellent, instructions and other paperwork are good, all small parts are in sealed bags marked for their intended use....I am especially happy with the brake lines and their DOT seal...complete right down to new copper washers.

Great job Guys!

i'm sure grimus is aware of the "basic cheap" design of the quick disconnects, but then again that's the beauty of them. they're CHEAP. on my wifes jeep i noticed that if not disconnected regularly, they would be nearly impossible for my wife to disconnect, and i had to help her every time. there seems to be just enough play in the disconnects that it rubs all the paint of and rusts quickly. so what i did was get some good quality anti-seize and coat the entire inside of the tube with way to much anti-seize. it was messy at first, but after wiping it down and using it, now it's to the point to where my wife can disconnect and reconnect very quickly and unassisted.

The Rough Country disco are similar to my Rubicon Gen 1's and they are a pain in the butt as well. Like Scorpio says if you dont use them they seize. I keep mine sprayed with WD40 every time I change oil.

moparmatt said:
Spend the $ get JKS :D

when you're on a budget and you want something that works, it doesnt hurt to spend the $40 shipped for RC's discos.

I have to mention, I truely appreciate all Rough Country has done for us here on Naxja. As every one can tell, they are set on making sure we are extremely satisfied customers. I have never been let down by the company its self.

Recently, I ordered a set of discos from Jason. After a while of trying to send the $$ to the right paypal, I finally got through. My order was shipped and while on the way, one complete arm assembly went AWOL. I called RC and spoke with Jason on the phone. I had a new set next day'ed to my house, complete and free of charge. Rough Country is so far the best company I have dealt with PERIOD. I strongly support them.

Back