• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Country

Just got off the phone with grim's and he was able to get me a real good deal on two brand new complete leaf sets to replace the AAL's that started to sag. Excelent customer service after the purchase. Thanks guys! :wave: :cheers:

Ok, I'll jump in on this one. I bought a 1990 Limited back in April. It has the 4.5" RC w/ AAL. I am running 33x12.5 Pro Comps and had to do a little trimming. The guy I bought it from siad the lift was about a month old. The rear was already sagging about 1.5". Other than that, I like the ride. When compared to the ride of my buddy's YJ, it rides great. I went and got some 2" blocks as a quick fix.

If I would have bought it myself, I would have got the full leaf packs. I haven't decided whether to go the bastard pack route or order the leaf packs from RC once I get the extra $$.

I have another friend who just got a 1990 Laredo from his Dad in showroom condition with 120,000 on for free and I recommended the same set up w/ leaf packs to him. BTW, I hate him..... :laugh:

I received my replacement AALs the other day from Grim.
Very fast shipping! Now I just gotta make room in the garage to get the Jeep in to swap the new leaves in!

GRIMUS99XJ said:
sent you a pm

I didn't get a 10% discount.Anyway,The kit came in on time.Took around 9 hours to install(first timer,all hand tools).Everything fit into place.The LCA zirks shouldn't be at the bottom.I can see they will be knocked off going over the first log.The 3" kit came with front springs,LCA,extend sway bar(front),8000 shocks(extra money for the boots which were a pain in the rear end to put on.Had to remover top bushing to install the boots)Only two of the shocks came with decals,no biggie and a AAL and bolts to install them.The directions need to be changed installing them.Leave the back springs in place.Clamp them together per instructions,remove clips.Jack up the other side of the axle.This will give one enough clearence to remove the lower springs.Cut holding bolt,then unclamp.Clean up springs and then reinstall them per instructions.One doesn't have to fight to get the top leaf spring bolts loose.
The front sway bar drop kit needs better instructions.It doesn't tell how or what it should be doing to the sway bar other then just bolting it in place.What adjustments are needed?
The kit should come with different rear axle shims,say a 2 and a 3 drg for the 3" and so on for 3.5" on up.I did call RC tech service,they told me to check local.No one has them with in 100+ miles.I will have to order them at a cost of $10 shipping for a one pound package,that sucks.Now everybody knows that shims will be needed for a lift kit for a XJ !One shouldn't have to go around looking all over the internet for some.RC should have them!
Before the lift,front was 17.5" and rear was 17.5 ".After the lift was installed,front was 20.75" and rear was 20.5".After a day of rough road riding,front was 20.5" and rear 20.25".The XJ 's ride is better then before,then again it had a broken rear shock.I do have vibration,but NO REAR AXLE SHIMS at this time.I will drop the Tcase and put some washers to block it and try to see if the vibrations drop till I am able to get some shims in.
From a first timer installing a lift kit.I give it a good buy at a fair price,easy to install if one can turn some tools with everything fitting good.Now only time will tell!

fishfighter said:
I didn't get a 10% discount.Anyway,The kit came in on time.Took around 9 hours to install(first timer,all hand tools).Everything fit into place.The LCA zirks shouldn't be at the bottom.I can see they will be knocked off going over the first log.The 3" kit came with front springs,LCA,extend sway bar(front),8000 shocks(extra money for the boots which were a pain in the rear end to put on.Had to remover top bushing to install the boots)Only two of the shocks came with decals,no biggie and a AAL and bolts to install them.The directions need to be changed installing them.Leave the back springs in place.Clamp them together per instructions,remove clips.Jack up the other side of the axle.This will give one enough clearence to remove the lower springs.Cut holding bolt,then unclamp.Clean up springs and then reinstall them per instructions.One doesn't have to fight to get the top leaf spring bolts loose.
The front sway bar drop kit needs better instructions.It doesn't tell how or what it should be doing to the sway bar other then just bolting it in place.What adjustments are needed?
The kit should come with different rear axle shims,say a 2 and a 3 drg for the 3" and so on for 3.5" on up.I did call RC tech service,they told me to check local.No one has them with in 100+ miles.I will have to order them at a cost of $10 shipping for a one pound package,that sucks.Now everybody knows that shims will be needed for a lift kit for a XJ !One shouldn't have to go around looking all over the internet for some.RC should have them!
Before the lift,front was 17.5" and rear was 17.5 ".After the lift was installed,front was 20.75" and rear was 20.5".After a day of rough road riding,front was 20.5" and rear 20.25".The XJ 's ride is better then before,then again it had a broken rear shock.I do have vibration,but NO REAR AXLE SHIMS at this time.I will drop the Tcase and put some washers to block it and try to see if the vibrations drop till I am able to get some shims in.
From a first timer installing a lift kit.I give it a good buy at a fair price,easy to install if one can turn some tools with everything fitting good.Now only time will tell!

to answer some of your questions
1) shock boots we dont reccomend nor does 90% of the off roaders
2) when it comes to the shims most the time a 3" is fine with out the shims I am running a 3" lift on my 88 with no shims no t-case drop and no vibs however if you are haveing some driveline vibs call me i will send you a set out free of charge
3) the sway bar drop brkt does need to be looked at as far as directions go but please keep in mind that the only time one would recieve the drop brkts is with the 3" series 2 such as you bought unlike the standard series wich comes with coils aal and shocks that is it

I am glad to here that your jeep rides better and do apologize for you not recieving the 10% discount that is not widely known with all the salesman up here it is something that I got approved a year ago when I sponsored :NAXJA:
please feel free to call me or post any further questions you might have
thanks Jason

SCupstateXJ said:
Ok, I'll jump in on this one. I bought a 1990 Limited back in April. It has the 4.5" RC w/ AAL. I am running 33x12.5 Pro Comps and had to do a little trimming. The guy I bought it from siad the lift was about a month old. The rear was already sagging about 1.5". Other than that, I like the ride. When compared to the ride of my buddy's YJ, it rides great. I went and got some 2" blocks as a quick fix.

If I would have bought it myself, I would have got the full leaf packs. I haven't decided whether to go the bastard pack route or order the leaf packs from RC once I get the extra $$.

I have another friend who just got a 1990 Laredo from his Dad in showroom condition with 120,000 on for free and I recommended the same set up w/ leaf packs to him. BTW, I hate him..... :laugh:

have him call me

GRIMUS99XJ said:
to answer some of your questions
1) shock boots we dont reccomend nor does 90% of the off roaders
2) when it comes to the shims most the time a 3" is fine with out the shims I am running a 3" lift on my 88 with no shims no t-case drop and no vibs however if you are haveing some driveline vibs call me i will send you a set out free of charge
3) the sway bar drop brkt does need to be looked at as far as directions go but please keep in mind that the only time one would recieve the drop brkts is with the 3" series 2 such as you bought unlike the standard series wich comes with coils aal and shocks that is it

I am glad to here that your jeep rides better and do apologize for you not recieving the 10% discount that is not widely known with all the salesman up here it is something that I got approved a year ago when I sponsored :NAXJA:
please feel free to call me or post any further questions you might have
thanks Jason

Hey Grimus, why no shock boots? Not doubting you, just curious, I never knew that. I might cut mine off if there's a reason behind it. Thanks!

Adam

So basically the moral of the story is, RC makes good kits, just make sure you upgrade down the road to a full spring pack, and toss the AAL. AAL is really the only complaint about RC. Hell from what I've read, RC is better than Rusty's! Plus RC's customer service is top notch! I might be getting my 6.5" lift from RC, but I do like RE's 4.5 with full spring pack.

why no shock boots?

the main reason shock boots are bad is the fact that road grim, dirt, dust and moisture get behind the boot and create a mud like substance then that will dry on the piston rod making the shock work harder, ride stiffer and eventually causing premature failure also will cause the piston rod to rust another cause to shock failure and valving issues

second reason is the really dont look all that good

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=589861 you can see here of others saying the same thing

i'm just a bit confused. i haven't had any problems with my shocks and the boots on. i make sure i tie them off properly on the shock body.

if you ran them without the boots, they would still get dirt, little rocks and dust on the rod. i could see it being self cleaning if it was always moving. but if it gets a small chip, then moisture and then a couple days without moving through the range, then it will still get crud/rust buildup. so how is it better running without a boot???

scorpio_vette said:
i'm just a bit confused. i haven't had any problems with my shocks and the boots on. i make sure i tie them off properly on the shock body.

if you ran them without the boots, they would still get dirt, little rocks and dust on the rod. i could see it being self cleaning if it was always moving. but if it gets a small chip, then moisture and then a couple days without moving through the range, then it will still get crud/rust buildup. so how is it better running without a boot???

i would like to believe that most will at least spray there vehicle down every now and then on top off mother nature washing it also when driving the seal will knock off whatever is on the shock and the wind will take it from there

also got your pm and will notify you in a little bit on what we can do

I live in MUD COUNTRY....and have seen quite a few shocks fail from mud getting in the boots...the retained moisture and gook eats them up...I regularly take my XJ for serious mud soaks....and I have run it with no shock boots for several years...no problems...

Today I had tryed a quick fix,(temp deal) to see if I could do away with the vibration.I had drop the tcase,removed bolts and nuts/studs.Went out and got some more bolts that were about 2" long and some 1/2" washers.From there I had installed a stack of washers to about 1/2" to each bolt.Went for a test ride.NICE!Just a hair of vibration around 58-60 mph.RC is sending me some 2.5 deg wedges.I think after installing them,my vibration problem will be history.I will remove the washers at that time.If the vibration comes back some after the wedges,I will just add washers till its gone again.From there,I will mill a plate for the right thickness.
Pulling out the studs,I had got some extra nuts,backed them up and they just came out.No problems there,then again this xj has never been off road!

well to start im not even gunna read the posts cause i know im gunna see the same as everything else involving RC and how people who havent touched RC bash it to the ground cause its not over priced....bottomline ive ran RC 4.5 kit for 2-3 YRS now and its been great little rough but i couldnt care i drive a jeep not a sports car cant think of any problems that i have had that are related to RC only thing i would suggest is buy some BPEs while your at it cause i recently tore the shock off the RR mount but that was due to my own stupidity ......cross thread is better than no thread ...which later leads to breakage of tiny screws....id say if your on a budget go with it theres no point in blowin unnecesary money

Back