• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Top Tent

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
Any of you guys have roof top tents?

Always wanted to get one and my wife is on board now!

Can ya give me the skinny on the RTT's?
Do you have it on your XJ?
Where did you get it?
How much did you spend?

I saw a Tepui on a recent trip, on a RAV 4, and it was sweet. Easy to use, super high quality, but $$$.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I have a Tepui on an M416 trailer that I modified so the room that attaches underneath it would fit. The mounting rails are a little over 6' off the ground. You will need roof rails that can hold over 400 pounds to put it on the jeep. I needed the extra room so I had a spot for the kid to sleep, it could easily fit 2-4 people for a total of 6. One afternoon in BV, I think there was at least 8 people in there getting out of the storm.

If you don't need the extra room, and just set up the roof top tent(RTT) itself, it's really not that much more convenient that a regular tent, imho. I'm not fond of it, and I am ready to sell it. Some of it is the 2" foam mattress, that was fine for my first 35 years, but not so much now. I like air beds.

I've used it 4 or 5 times. It's in good shape with no major issues. The mattress cover is clean. :) I do want to sell it, so I guarantee you won't find a better price. I bought it online from Bass Pro. The shipping was over $100, but it was the best deal at the time. I checked recently and the prices from Tepui have come down, lots more Chinese factories making them.

This fall, I'll be parking the trailer on the parkway with it set up and a for sale sign on it. If you are really interested, after COfest, we can talk about a private showing. :)

I have one that I've used several times, and I really like the concept. I have not tried it on the XJ, only on my Ram 2500. My main reservation is that I'd rather not be doing any real wheeling with it on an XJ.
1c68343de03e3030379da284cca4f739.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hilton. I'm not selling the trailer, unless someone REALLY wants it.

How hard is it to set up that tent? I thought half the reason for these was they setup in seconds? I really like the idea of just being able to park and not have to worry about a good spot for the tent.

I don't find it any easier than setting up a normal tent. Part of it is that it's 6+ feet above the ground. You can unfold it, and not worry about the awnings for the windows and the entry pretty quickly. It it's just for an overnight, that might be fine. For more than a short night, the window awnings are a bit of a pain. Adding the ground level room takes quite a bit of time, but is needed if you have more than a couple. If it's only two people, the RTT that turbobrick posted, looks like it would be quick, it's also more expensive. That style is too small for me, I like being able to sit up.

Back