• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll bar ...

DJManche

NAXJA Forum User
For about a year and a half I've been looking for a 4 point roll bar for the MJ .
Recently I found out that a first gen Dakota ( 79-88 ) fits good .
So I've been on the hunt for a Dakota roll bar , all the websites that say they have them give some BS about how they went out of business and refers me to someone else who doesn't even know what I'm talking about . I'm getting quite tired of E business because of the false information they give .

So please , if any of you have any information or know someone or a business with a f@cking
phone number that I can actually call that would be great . I don't care what condition its in at this point just not rusted through , I'm even willing to pay top dollar for a custom built one .
So if any of you know someone that wants my money feel free to let me know .

Thanks

Indeed, these Dakota sport bars do fit the MJ nicely........... I'm keeping my eyes out for one of these myself.

25258180028_large.jpg

25258180030_large.jpg

Thats exactly the inspiration that I got , 89 Eliminators truck is sweet .
On the Dakota forums they seem to be easy to find listing a couple of manufacturers that make them but to no avail , I've searched and searched
but all I get is sorry we quit making those 20 years ago ...
Than how the ef did they get on modern websites posting pictures of brand new shiny roll bars ...
Frustrating to say the least .

Alright !!! Finally found me a roll bar . Decided to bite the bullet and order up one of these ...
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/grizzly_roll_bars.asp

This is the only company making the old Smittybuilt 4 point of years ago .
Its actually for a Dakota but built custom by a company out in Cali .

It will be 8 weeks before I see it ...:cry:

However it is mandrel bent with seamless welds ,kinda pricy but it doesn't look like I have a choice
The link above is where I ordered it if anyone is interested .
The only one that fits MJ's is the double single version but the other hoop bar is optional .

That's a much better option than some of the ones you and I discussed.:thumbup:

Yep , I'll still have you make the rear bumper though without a tire swing .
I may have to modify the hoop to be a little shorter , only because the base
mounting plate could be at a slightly different angle .

89Eliminator had the same problem with the Dakota sport bar , just a quick
cut and re-weld and it turned out great .

The only thing different from the stock bar is the kickers on mine is how the kickers mount on the angle of the wheel well .

89Eliminator had the same problem with the Dakota sport bar , just a quick
cut and re-weld and it turned out great .

i wouldnt exactly call it "quick". it main hoop was too wide by about 4", and the wheel well mount was the wrong angle. with that said, i like the looks better than the factory MJ rollbar. too bad you werent closer, im gonna cage my truck soon and need a buyer for the old rollbar.

i wouldnt exactly call it "quick". it main hoop was too wide by about 4", and the wheel well mount was the wrong angle.

Well keerap. I didn't realize you'd had to do that much modification to make it work in the MJ. :doh:

Troy we don't much choice , even the Ford splash bar is about 3-4 inches too
wide and thats one of the smallest bars on the market .

A little cut and re-weld is no biggie for me , its either that or nothing ...
There is only one company on line that makes them to fit but he's down in Fl . and he needs measurements . Still takes about 8 weeks and there is no return policy if in case it doesn't fit .

The tubing he normally uses is the standard 2" smitty stuff for Jeep commando's , I think that looked too skimpy for me and he still wants about a grand for a 2" hoop and kicker set .

Yeah, I know, not much to choose from.

I'm not a big fan of the fat-tube sport bars in general, but I do kinda like the look. I'm on the fence if I'd actually run one, but 89Eliminator's is a pretty neat set up coupled with the bed mounted spare. Part of me doesn't like the amount of bed space those sport bars use up.

I had one of those sport bars that bolts to the bed rails - I'd seen quite a few early Dakotas with them years back - so I put one on my '91 S-10 and liked the look of it..... and the fact I could still put a large tool box in the bed.

91S-10fixed.jpg

The spare is one of the main reasons I'm doing this , a 35" takes too much bed space and the tail gate look looks goofy like Frank said . I plan on making something from the roll bar that the tire
bolts to leaving the bottom of the bed open for 2x4's or whatever .

I agree the big bars look goofy on small trucks but mine isn't that small anymore ..:yelclap:

Just think of all the cool shat you could make with that , all the cages and doors you could make , swing set bumpers galore not to mention any of the guy's who have Manche's would probably like to have at least some option
for bars or cage systems , bent control arms , interior cages .

I myself have toyed around with the idea of an interior cage thats ergo friendly and doesn't modify the interior too much . I just can't bring myself
to cut the 92' up .

2" die would be a good investment anyways... Thats what im using for the sliders im building and at first I thought 2" would be too big but it actually looks pretty sharp.

im sure if you had the die people would want stuff done in 2" tubing.

Back