• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rocky and I had round one today...

Yeah, shock loading really doesn't do them any favors. The failure I normally see is all the teeth stripped off various gears - I've never seen 1st fail, but I've seen third and fourth, and a friend in Australia with an H series yota box (very closely related) ripped a bunch of teeth off 5th by flooring it on the highway at like 50mph. I also saw a second gear failure but that was due to bearing and shaft damage, then the synchro clutch keys escaping from the 3rd/4th synchro hub and finding their way into the 2nd gearset while in motion.

AX-15 out of a 2.5L Dakota.

Yep. Be aware that the output shaft is 23 spline on all AX15s, so you're gonna need to swap the input gear in the transfer case (even on 91+ 4cyls with the AX5 the shaft is 21 spline!) and you need to be careful to stay on the right side of the 94.0 to 94.5 year split for the gear tooth profile on the NP231 input/planetary gears when choosing your donor for the 23 spline input. Or just slap in any 23 spline NP231.

Dropped the tank today to check the pump and tank. Everything was done right, tank was clean. Got a fuel pressure gauge. It idles at 75-80 psi and bounces with rpm. Shut it off and it holds at 38 psi. Vacuum line on or off the regulator has no effect. Key on shoots up to about 65 psi and then holds at 38 psi. Regulator or clogged return line?

Both fuel lines dumped fuel out when I disconnected to drop the tank.

I believe pressure on the '95 2.5 is supposed to be 31 psi.

Update. I disconnected the return line all the way to the soft line going to the tank, everything is clear. Still showing 75 psi at idle. Guess I'm dropping the tank again to check/replace that soft line.

I have also found the ECU to be suspect when cutting off. check this thread out. Also I am not working right now and could help also.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/crash-course-brain-surgery-replacing-capacitors-ecu-492597/

Thanks yeah I have read that a couple times. My CEL illuminates like it should which ruled out the ECU.

Right before the beach I got the fuel pressure correct, which didn't really help things. I cleaned/greased the cam sensor connector, put the spare coil on, unplugged the MAP vacuum line, when I put that back on everything behaved. Haven't had a lick of trouble out of it during the beach trip or this whole week. I'm guessing it was the coil I will swap it back soon and see if it acts up again.

Back