• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock Krawler 3-Link Install

az4wheeler2002 said:
acouple of question, can you get a pic of the front with the upper control arm installed, believe it or not, alot of people install the upper arm incorrectly, also did you cut off the excess bolt for the upper axleside mount, and did you leave the passengerside upper axleside mount on the axle or did you grind it off?
I'm not bitchin I think you did an excellent job, I wouldn't worry about the welding, it coulda/shoulda been done better, but it's done and overwith now, I would just like to see a complete build up, b/c its not very often where someone does a build up and goes over everything
yea i can get a pic of that. i forgot to take some pics towards the end of the build, it was getting late and i was tired. the passenger side upper mount is still on. i may cut it off not sure yet. i'll see when i measure for new bumpstops and for some limit straps. i do need to trim the bolts some on the upper axle mount.

it's cool. i was trying to be as thorough as i could. i just completely forgot that i didn't take any pics of the upper bracket when i was typing it all up.

shimmy said:
its because a unibody flexes more than a true frame. therefore, when you weld it up complelely you run the risk of the welds cracking over time
Mark Hinkley said:
Bullsheit!
No Mark, I think he's right.
I've heard XJs DO have unibodies.

It was on the internet somewhere.

Here are some pics of the upper bracket.
P1010045.jpg

P1010046.jpg

There are about 1/2" of threads showing.

P1010049.jpg

And the arm attached to the new joint. I definitely need to trim the bolts on the joint. Might do that sunday after I get back from the Myrtle Beach 4x4 show.
-Matt

Last edited:
XJ_Jeeper01 said:
Here are some pics of the upper bracket.
P1010045.jpg

Any reason why the Heim is cocked to one side like that? It would seem that you left it with very little to no play if it needed to rotate that way further.

Also, the bolt holding the upper arm to the bracket, did the instructions say to run it upside down like that? If the nut were to vibrate loose and you didn't catch it in time, at least with it right side up, the bolt will remain, where with the way you have it, the bolt is sure to fall out. :)

When i got my kit the heim on the upper control arm was the same crawler joints that was on the other two lower control arms any reasons why yours is diffrent?

waxer said:
Any reason why the Heim is cocked to one side like that? It would seem that you left it with very little to no play if it needed to rotate that way further.

Also, the bolt holding the upper arm to the bracket, did the instructions say to run it upside down like that? If the nut were to vibrate loose and you didn't catch it in time, at least with it right side up, the bolt will remain, where with the way you have it, the bolt is sure to fall out. :)
The jam nut came loose after a day and after going over so many potholes it cockeyed the heim i guess. i need to fix that though. And yea the instructions say to have the bolt put in like that.

forwheelin49 said:
When i got my kit the heim on the upper control arm was the same crawler joints that was on the other two lower control arms any reasons why yours is diffrent?
I have no idea why it's different. i thought it was always a heim. do you have the gen1 stuff?

the reason the direction say to put the bolt through the upper at the frame like that is because the only way your going to get it in there the way you are saying, is to cut a hole in your floor............... :)

on another note, you should definietly have a heim at your upper at the frame, i don't even think the krawler joint can fit inside the upper frame bracket.

Shoot a picture and ill let you know whats going on.

Matt

matt6669 said:
the reason the direction say to put the bolt through the upper at the frame like that is because the only way your going to get it in there the way you are saying, is to cut a hole in your floor............... :)

Matt

Makes total sense now :)

I received my upper arm, bracket, and lower brackets, but am waiting on my control arms. Joe already explained that they should be here tomorrow. Then I will have a full understanding of the install process as I have yet to do it.

huh, i still can't see how a krawler joint would fit in that upper bracket and even if it did fit, there would be no movement to it, that it totally wouldn't work.

waxer, good to hear your kit is on the way, if you need any help or have questions don't be afraid to drop me a msg.

ps, i hear what your saying about if that bolt were to come loose. Chances are it won't, but if you want to make yourself feel a little more comfortable. Go ahead and drill a hole through the bolt, above the nut. Then take a trailer hitch pin, and stick it on through. That'll keep both the bolt from rattling completely loose, and make sure that it'll never fall out

That is the weirdest thing i have ever saw. That joint shouldn't even fit in the upper arm, i believe that they are different size shanks.

I'm gonna pass this on to my buddy and see if we can figure out whats going on.

ps did you make those lca brackets...?

no the brackets they came with the kit i guess they are newer, but maybe i should tell you guys this is on a grand cherokee but I dont think that should make it diffrent

Thats really odd.. I measured both the axle mounts and the frame mounts for inside width and found that they are in fact both 2 1/4" so if you used the same spacers that you normally use with the krawler joints one would fit perfectly in the slot for the normal heim with the larger spacers.

how do you bolt the brackets on before you weld? mine has two holes in it for bolting but can you bolt through the rail? how does this get done and i guess you drill through the rail for the inner pumkin arm mount? any pics? thanks...

aparke4 said:
how do you bolt the brackets on before you weld? mine has two holes in it for bolting but can you bolt through the rail? how does this get done and i guess you drill through the rail for the inner pumkin arm mount? any pics? thanks...

You unbolt the transmission cross member, put the bracket between the crossmember and frame and put the bolts back in.

shimmy said:
i run the rk kit, but i didn't use there LCA mounts. i used angled and thus it sleeved the upper mount too. works great

this was along time ago, but if your still out there and still have the jeep do you have pics of this???

Back