• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RK 3 link + sleeved frame rails. Need input.

Jeep914x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, Here's the deal. I'm getting ready to install this:

Rock Krawler 3 link upgrade.
IMGP0003Small.jpg

And decided to do this at the same time:

Test fit of 3x3x3/16 angle on my XJ's frame rails.
IMGP0009Small.jpg

Here is the Dilemma…. The bracket for the lower control arms connects to the cross member bolts and, usually, gets welded to the frame rail. I will be welding mine to the angle I am using to sleeve my frame rails. Once I drilled the holes for the cross member I noticed this:

Lower cotrol arm bracket lined up with cross member bolt holes.
IMGP0044Small.jpg

Another view (I put white tape on the metal so I could mark it easier.)
IMGP0049Small-1.jpg

front of the bracket.
IMGP0050Small.jpg

So… Will it be ok if I just weld it the way it is or should I wallow out the holes on the lower arm mount and move it over? It’s hanging about a quarter inch over the angle but the bulk of the bracket is on the angle.

Thanks for any feedack.

I would just weld it. If It bothers you alot, Make where the brackets bolt to a bit wider by add a small strip of scrap to the over hanging sides and weld it to the frame sleeve. grind it flush for the brackets to be fit flush.

Attach it the way it is. It's made to set the LCA's off the frame rail a bit, isn't it? Why move it? you can cut some short triangles from scrap and gusset if you want more support out past the frame rail end.
Also, mke sure you rosette weld the frame support, don;t just seam weld it. Drill some holes and spot weld them too.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Andrew2516, I hadn't even thought about doing that. I just figured that welding the brackets to the angle would be stronger. I think my frame rail is a little dented where the bracket would sit. I will take a closer look.

Gabletech, I have some scrap left over where I cut for the rear spring hanger. I will check it out.

DaffyXJ, I'm not sure if it's supposed to hang off. I don't think so. Those pics were from the test fit of the angle on the rails. I have since drilled some holes to rosette weld the support to the frame. Thanks!

I'll post pics when I decide what to do and it gets done.

Anyone else have an opinion?

I disagree. ONE of the reasons to sleeve the frame rail is to have nice thick metal to weld to.

At least I would not do that.

andrew2516 said:
If it were me, I would weld the brackets to the unibody and sleeve around the brackets.

UPDATE!

I made the decision to just weld it as is. here's some pics.

IMGP0053Small.jpg

IMGP0059Small.jpg

It really feels like the angle stiffened up my jeep. It's been a few months with no probls. I'm loving the ride with the long arms.

Back