• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

riverside county?

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone around from the eastern riverside county? im out in hemet.

Also has anyone ran any trails up in the mammoth lakes area?

Thanks

mavrick said:
Anyone around from the eastern riverside county? im out in hemet.

Thanks

Well I'm even further to the East.... I'm down in the Coachella Valley...seeing as how it's HOT ! out here right now we try to look for higher elevations.
Unfortunately 11 yrs. ago they closed ALOT ! of the desert to the East but theres still some stuff to explore. Theres the old standby Big Bear.
See YA !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ) :us:

Not from Riverside County, but just got back from 10 days at Virginia Lakes. Why type of wheeling are you looking for? The trails around Mammoth aren't very technical. Depending on the rig you drive, you may not even have to put it in 4wd. Don't let that discourage you though. The sceneray the trails offer make up for their lack in techinal difficulty. Let me know what you want to do or see and I can guide you in a few directions. I'm usually up in that area a few times a year.

mavrick said:

Thanks
:speepin:

Driving up to Laurell Lakes is prolly one of the toughest, that is not to say it's a tough trail though. On the other hand it is one of the more senic, a must as far as I am concerned. The trail head is just a couple of miles south of "downtown". Have breakfast at the Kettle and you're good to go.

TIM

BTW, We've found it better/cheaper to stay in a condo rather than a hotel/motel during the late summer/fall.

I'm out in Yuciapa here and Dan Turner is here also. Never ran up to mammoth though sorry.

If you turn right at the exit to Mammoth and just head up into the hills there are some trails that are fairly challenging in winter, never done them in summer though.

Ive been going up to mammoth ever since i was a little kid which in reality has been about 12 years. Any ways i was given a guide book for Christmas that has all the trails for northern and southern california and i saw that there was a number of little runs in the mammoth area. Laurel lakes and sand canyon both caught my eye. From what the book says they are the toughest trails in the area rated moderate but like someone said they are not that tough. I know the area pretty well and i have an idea where the trail head is for Laurel lakes. Just curious can you see the trail from 395 cutting back and forth up the ridge. Also did you do any fishing in the lakes? if so how was it?

I've have yet to make it to Laurel Lakes. First time was in a 2wd Nissan, didn't even make it up the switchbacks. second time in a Chevy pick up, it got to be white out conditions and didn't want to get caught in a snow storm plus a leaking tire. Third time was in my Xj, but the trail was blocked by snow.

I've been up to Laurel Lakes alot. The trailhead is off Sherwin Creek road, just west of 395.

The trail is super easy, I've seen bone stock 4x4 Suburbans at the top and I bet a Honda CRV could make it. It's basically a rocky fireroad with a few sharp switchbacks - it ain't rockcrawing, but 4low is nice for keeping you off the brakes when coming back down the steeps. There are a few whoop-de-doos near the bottom of the trail that help keep the 2 wheel drives out - except for the asshats that drive thru the brush to get around the bumps.

Fishing is a tough there, the lakes have golden trout and the rules are artificial lures with barbless hooks only and you can keep any over 14 inches. Those trout are real wary.

Another cool place, but easy 4x road, is Coyote Flats that runs between Bishop and Big Pine.

jonboy said:
Those trout are real wary.
No noise, no shadows, no caught nuthin. Who cared? Drop dead beautiful though!

Back