• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rig shopping.....

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
So it looks like the hail brought an end to the suburban, ill find out for sure next week.
As I had the feeling this was the case, Ive been eyeing some replacement vehicles. HAving sold the buggy, my towing will be limited to parts and pieces, not rigs, so im not looking for 3/4 ton. I want to stay under 12k, we want to eliminate the other bills and get the IRS stuff completed before I buy a new truck, so a smaller pricetag is nice. I dont want a truck. Need something I can crash in when needed (long drives and days at work means i tend to sleep in random places frequently.), fit the dogs in, be 4wd, be small enough to fit normal places (the burb is quite cumbersom), and able to get good camping places/usable on trails near me.

The two options ive grown fond of are as follows: Xterra and Commander.
The xterra is a bit more nimble, better fuel economy, and good manners on the road. However it is a fair bit smaller than the Commander, where teh room would be nice.

The commander comes in a variety of options. Im mostly looking at the limited. V8 Quadra drive 2 which means limited slips in diffs, and more room inside. I know the 08+ have better output in both the 4.7 and 5.7. But is there anything I should know about those motors in either year? Or the 3.7?

Thanks

Daughter had a Commander with the 4.7, roomy, all the bells and whistles, decent power, no problems that I heard about. Gas mileage was not great. IIRC the tow rating was enough to marginally tow a jeep on a trailer.

Our former MWC President Dan (Fore Wheeler) Wheeler had to put a new engine in his, he probably knows a lot more about them than most people would want to know.
He's camping/wheeling this weekend, but perhaps PM him next week for more info.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246504911&postcount=91286

Thanks john! We were just talking about you recently as we looked at some different rocks on Imogene.
I don't see much bad about them but ya know how that goes. It IS a jeep.

LOL Cindy probably already grabbed the best rocks along Imogene.
Like any vehicle, you do your research and try to get something decent, but when something breaks anyway, at least you have a good idea how to fix it.

Agreed. Figured they might be a common after xj vehicle for folks around here. Might be some good insight.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevrolet-conversion-van/6230752698.html

00T0T_3QkxHrWhP2e_1200x900.jpg

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/dodge-camper-van/6235833461.html

01010_aHD87oBCBAs_1200x900.jpg

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/camper-truck-chevy/6197648338.html

00T0T_6PlKkwjO19V_1200x900.jpg

00F0F_3lQvIdPH1Ei_1200x900.jpg

https://rockies.craigslist.org/cto/d/chevy-sportvan-conversion-van/6236206852.html
00G0G_3QQ7Iq01FQg_1200x900.jpg

:D

Last edited:
I like the 5.7. solid push rod motor. Has some valve train issues but the parts are stupid cheap. I think the 4.7 is under powered in the xk and the 3.7 is a gutless POS. Im really not a fan of the 4.7. its not that bad but not spectacular either. The 5.7 is hard to find in the commanders tho. I was looking for one for the wife to drive. I have a personal hatred for Nissan. I like the look of the Xterra but imo they're total garbage. Both style between the 3.3 and 4.0 have a lot of problems, from timing chains to trans and radiator. And the 3.3 is a dog.

Thanks john! We were just talking about you recently as we looked at some different rocks on Imogene.
I don't see much bad about them but ya know how that goes. It IS a jeep.

My boss was out at Imogene yesterday. Did you see a really tall dude on a red husqvarna dirt bike by chance?

Xterra would only be 06+. Most of the 08+ had the cooling issue fixed that junked the trans/cooling system. Manual trans is easy way around that. Had the xterra before and liked it. No real issues and just a matter of swapping the radiator trans cooler for a good one.
The 4.7 got a boost in the 08+ models that would make it practical. Brother has an 06 wk with the 4.7. While no beast it is just right for the truck.
Found a few of the 5.7 mostly 06-07 so the power is less than the 08+. But they want a pretty penny for them comparatively.

Fwiw, we just bought an outback and with the right tire, it would easily work for you. I didn't know this till after we bought it, but those things are commonly compared to the new Cherokee in terms of stock off road capability.

Fwiw, we just bought an outback and with the right tire, it would easily work for you. I didn't know this till after we bought it, but those things are commonly compared to the new Cherokee in terms of stock off road capability.

Need the height. I see too much snow to sit that low. Great in snow, yes. However my drive home consists of passes that easily see 12-18" overnight. Need plow through capabilities. Otherwise they would be on my list.

Nope. As I said I want to wait for a truck. (Want a new Chevy 3/4). So for now something smaller and more fitting for camping roads and such is ideal.

For the price point I want to be under I'd be buying an older rig with more miles than either of the other two options.
I considered the wk but the interior is a tad too tight for my needs.

Back