• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reverse grinding and clutch problems.

PosiDave

NAXJA Forum User
I went wheelin about 3 weeks ago and got stuck leaving my jeep covered to the doors with water. the next day i would get stuck in gears and not be able to shift out and i couldn't put it in reverse without alot of trobule. the jeep sat until a few days ago I drove it hours or so and it ran fine. but every once in a while when i stop i cant shift it out of 1st. also when i try and shift in reverse it grinds. my friend said his did it with the reverse thing. I was wondering if it is the clutch going or if possibly the slave cylinder is just full of crap. from getting stuck.
by the way its a 4.0 96 cherokee.

I don't think the 96 XJ AX-15 (internal slave) is a bleedable system. To prevent grinding going into reverse, first shift into any forward gear, then reverse. You might try a gear oil change to a synthetic or GL-3 oil.

Back