• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing the 00+ coil rail with aftermarket coils

I finished this up last night. I used a coil pack from a 3.3/3.8 v6. This was more of fixing a cyl 6 misfire issue than a performance mod. Either way, it works, but it didn't fix my misfire, which I am now convinced is in the motor.

Wires are for a 98 Cherokee, mounting bracket is 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle.

IMAG0442.jpg

I finished this up last night. I used a coil pack from a 3.3/3.8 v6. This was more of fixing a cyl 6 misfire issue than a performance mod. Either way, it works, but it didn't fix my misfire, which I am now convinced is in the motor.

Wires are for a 98 Cherokee, mounting bracket is 1x1x1/8 aluminum angle.

Thanks for the info... but to clarify, what was the coil pack from (Chrysler, Ford, Chevy, Mazda... ) and does it simply plug-play type of deal?

Looks clean. I'm not all that worried about gaining any performance, just getting rid of that pain in the rear full-length coil pack on my '01.

Chrysler. Part number of the one I used is BWD E887. All you ned to do is shave the "key way" on the coils connecter, and extend the wires. With the connector facing the fire wall, the top coil is cyl 3 and 4, then 2 and 5 then 1 and 6.

You would have to do something pretty ass backwards to screw up the PCM. Like dead short the wires together. As long as you get the common pin right, the other 3 don't matter. Its then just a matter of connecting the right coils to the right plugs. As far as the coil goes, chrysler's PCM's are all built pretty much the same. If its a chrysler coil, it will be fine.

No, there is a lot more to coils than just plugging it in correctly, such as primary inductance, turns ratio, DC resistance, and charge time. Its not as simple as completing a 12 volt circuit. If the coils are not matched or the coil matched to the ignition driver's specs or inside safe limits, the coil might fail to fire which will result in the feedback EMF from the coil hitting the drivers in the PCM.

Last edited:
Re-read my last post. Chrysler PCM's of the same generation are built the same, so it will fire most if not every chrysler coil of the same design (single, waste spark, cop etc) and generation with out issue.

I'm not recommending that people use a ford, mazda, or after market coil. If you do you will need to research the specs on it before hand.

Re-read my last post. Chrysler PCM's of the same generation are built the same, so it will fire most if not every chrysler coil of the same design (single, waste spark, cop etc) and generation with out issue.

I would assume you know this for a fact and know the specs of the various coils used.

Any chance you could post the wiring diagram for your patch cable? This cleans up the engine compartment a ton and I would love to do this for my own rig.

I just cut the the connector off and added 40" of wire. The pin out was the same as the jeep connector as the chrysler one.

talyn, u do some awesome work man... love what u've done to the interior (gauge inlay, dash incorporated radar detector, digital temps display, etc.)... u should combine all ur threads into one build thread:thumbup:

i've been curious about swappin in coil packs onto my 98's 4.0... not sure on the specifics, but i am electrically inclined... for starters, i'm assuming i'd need the 99+ PCM & wiring... or is it as "simple" as eliminating the distributor & splicing/extending wires to the coils?... i do kno the 99+ heads are different, & have mounting for coils, but i'd like to go about similar to the way you did

have u seen any gains in MPG??

Last edited:
talyn, u do some awesome work man... love what u've done to the interior (gauge inlay, dash incorporated radar detector, digital temps display, etc.)... u should combine all ur threads into one build thread:thumbup:
Thanx. I may combine the links in my sig eventually or something like that
i've been curious about swappin in coil packs onto my 98's 4.0...
You would need the PCM and wiring harness harness at least. But I don't think it would provide an advantage performance wise over a distributor system.
have u seen any gains in MPG??
I do not know as I didn't have a chance to take before measurements.
Why what?

Got a progress report? I'm thinking about doing this when I swap a '99 engine into my '01.

In case anyone else was baffled:
Yes, the Viper is a V10. No, 10 (# of viper cylinders) is not divisible by 6 (# of jeep cylinders)
Mopar gave the Viper a 6 lead coil and a 4 lead coil.
I suppose the 4 lead coil could be used for the 2.5 liter crowd, though I haven't verified this.

Back