• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement DD214

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
I ordered a replacement DD214 over the web, faxed in my signature and had two imprinted copies in about a week. Who woulda thunk a govt agency would actually be efficient and timely.

One thing I never understood is how I got the "Good Conduct Medal (Air Force) W/One OLC". I was Army. Odd stuff.

My originals were stolen in 1989. The house I lived in burned to the ground. The firefighters did a great job of salvaging most of my belongings, including a shitload of pretty high end stereo/DJ gear. They put everything in to the detached garage. The day after the fire, somebody broke in to my garage and stole everything. I was pretty pissed. I bet they were surprised when they found out all of my stereo gear was 220 volt.

Glad to hear something in the federal government works right.

Same thing here Glenn.....mine took about 10 days once I faxed my sig in.

I almost shat myself when it showed up in the mailbox so quickly...

Jeff

They're really efficient about processing my income tax return usually :dunno:

I always expect them to be ultra efficient about anything that involves taking money from me, and pretty slow and lackadaisical about giving me anything. So far that's worked out about like I expected it to, except for that one time when I was late on my income tax return and sent it in with what I figured they'd fine me for added on (googled for usual fine percentages.) A few months later out of the blue a check showed up for the amount I sent in for the fine plus a decent chunk, apparently they audited me because the wacky amount I sent in set off a red flag or something and they discovered I didn't claim some deductions I should have.

They're really efficient about processing my income tax return usually :dunno:

I always expect them to be ultra efficient about anything that involves taking money from me, and pretty slow and lackadaisical about giving me anything. So far that's worked out about like I expected it to, except for that one time when I was late on my income tax return and sent it in with what I figured they'd fine me for added on (googled for usual fine percentages.) A few months later out of the blue a check showed up for the amount I sent in for the fine plus a decent chunk, apparently they audited me because the wacky amount I sent in set off a red flag or something and they discovered I didn't claim some deductions I should have.

Yea, I have done that a couple of times, I was not sure how much I owed so I just guestimated and doubled it, mailed it in. Month later I got check and a new return copy, I think they do a better job than H&R block could ever do, and it's free :D :D :D I think extra money forces an audit, especially when it's an odd number, like you owe $100 so you write a check for $153.45 and they spend a few hours figuring out where that extra $53.45 is supposed to go.

The best part - they did it so it must be right :dunno: harder for them to blame you for a mistake when you can wave around a paper they sent and say "it says right here that YOU think this is right"

Glenn - never realized you were ex military for some reason, despite the signature. Thank you.

hmm your lucky, after i separated it took about a yr to get a hard copy of my 214. there was a lot of phone calls and dealing with folks who had no friggin clue what i was talking about

hmm your lucky, after i separated it took about a yr to get a hard copy of my 214. there was a lot of phone calls and dealing with folks who had no friggin clue what i was talking about
I got updated DD214's when I finished my first 4 in the Navy and then another one after my second hitch, in fact I walked out of the door at the sub base in Groton with it.

Yeah, it is amazing that they are on the ball about getting replacements out.

They will also replace your medals (once in a lifetime, IIRC). Not sure how fast they are about that though.

Back