• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacement Coils and Spring Packs

Gnat5680

NAXJA Forum User
basicly what the title says. i need some lift from a junkyard until i can afford a good one. what coils and spring packs can i get from another jeep or truck and just throw right in? im looking for about 2-3" of lift. i was hoping to steer away from an AAL. also how far off is the steering after lifting it 3" ?

V8 ZJ coils provide about 1" of lift. F150 springs I believe can give you 3", but ride rough, so Ive read about. Maybe a spacer up front too?

As far as leafs, make your own. Get them from an S10 or Dakota, and search something like 'bastard leaf pack'. A shackle of block will help too to gain a few inches.

Some junk yards already have wrecked Cherokees with lifts on them.

Get an alignment after you lift it. It shouldn't be too far off. Im at 2" now, and there is no change from stock.

is there a way to get more than 1"? i thought i heard some where on here something about a f150's front springs giving 3". is this true or did i just make it up?

what about using a super dutys frount springs. if you could make those fit you would have something along the line of 6"!

Gnat5680 said:
is there a way to get more than 1"? i thought i heard some where on here something about a f150's front springs giving 3". is this true or did i just make it up?

what about using a super dutys frount springs. if you could make those fit you would have something along the line of 6"!

12GaugeXJ said:
F150 springs I believe can give you 3", but ride rough, so Ive read about.

For your first question.

Do that, it will ride like a brick.

V8 ZJ springs + 2" spacer = 3" or so if lift.

:dunno:

Gnat5680 said:
basicly what the title says. i need some lift from a junkyard until i can afford a good one. what coils and spring packs can i get from another jeep or truck and just throw right in? im looking for about 2-3" of lift. i was hoping to steer away from an AAL. also how far off is the steering after lifting it 3" ?

rear leaf pack out of a 4wd older s10 blazer use the second leaf as an add a leaf, i got exactly 3" out of this setup when i put together a lift for my buddy\

thats my .2 on the rear the fronts i'd just use spacers and a v-8 zj coil but i have no personal experience with that

F-150 springs dont really "ride like a brick". Yeah they're stiff but who cares, its a cheap lift.
I have them in mine and got around 4-4.5"s with a 2" (actually 1.75") spacer added. The springs really give you more control, as in after a bump, its more of a quick bounce and then you've got control again.

Some will tell you they dont flex at all but I dont know if I got a soft set or what but mine seem to flex OK, obviously not as good as say, an RE spring but still OK for a junkyard lift.Also I if you ddont do really any rock crawling so you dont need a lot flex which makes them perfect for most mild trail and mud guys, like me.

Last edited:
Chero-King said:
F-150 springs dont really "ride like a brick". Yeah they;'re stiff but you wont even notice after a couple days.

I was refering to the Super Duty ones he was wanting to fit on there. Made for a 3/4 ton truck, or a 1 ton truck, they will ride stiff on a vehicle at half the weight.

12GaugeXJ said:
I was refering to the Super Duty ones he was wanting to fit on there. Made for a 3/4 ton truck, or a 1 ton truck, they will ride stiff on a vehicle at half the weight.
so than do i want the super duty or the f150 springs?
also i already know about the dakota spring packs. i just was hoping that there was a set from an old truck or something that you could fit in to get some lift.

Gnat5680 said:
also i already know about the dakota spring packs. i just was hoping that there was a set from an old truck or something that you could fit in to get some lift.

Chero-King said:
I have them in mine and got around 4-4.5"s with a 2" (actually 1.75") spacer added.

F150 springs or V8 ZJ fronts. Either way.

Gnat5680 said:

F-150. Just because I've heard that ZJ's only give around 1-1.5"s while most f-150's give around 2.5-3", and are usually easier to find.
I got my springs out of a 92 IIRC. But I've heard they can come out of the early 70's fords too but Im not positive on that one.

Back