• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix, pre-91 era XJ jeep tech differences

I love the simplicity of the Renix system. A $3 meter from Hobo Freight and you can check anything.

I also enjoy doing writeups that hopefully keep these Jeeps going down the road instead of to the junkyard because of people's frustrations.

www.cruiser54.com

Nice thread Mike!!!!!

How far do you have to push a renix jeep to get it to start? HO 4.0 usually pops off in 3 or 4 compression cycles ... the renix usually has to crank for 25 or 30 seconds :D .

But I never really realized the difference in the torque until I drove a tired old 200K mile 5 speed 1990. They really do have a lot more low end torque. It was nice off road not worrying about stalling it even with 3.07 gears. But, when playing around on a motocross track (legally) or in the mud, my 4.0 HO doesn't mind 4500RPM.

I also like the fact that my head doesn't hit the ceiling on the older ones. My 2000 I like that the seat base is higher but I hit the ceiling. the older ones have a seating position similar to a 90s chevy truck but I don't hit the ceiling!

How far do you have to push a renix jeep to get it to start? HO 4.0 usually pops off in 3 or 4 compression cycles ... the renix usually has to crank for 25 or 30 seconds :D .

But I never really realized the difference in the torque until I drove a tired old 200K mile 5 speed 1990. They really do have a lot more low end torque. It was nice off road not worrying about stalling it even with 3.07 gears. But, when playing around on a motocross track (legally) or in the mud, my 4.0 HO doesn't mind 4500RPM.

I also like the fact that my head doesn't hit the ceiling on the older ones. My 2000 I like that the seat base is higher but I hit the ceiling. the older ones have a seating position similar to a 90s chevy truck but I don't hit the ceiling!

25 to 30 seconds indicates there's a problem in a renix......

Good point, just push it down hill LOL. It does take a manual Transmission to push start it and a working battery. My diesel is manual and needs no power to fire it up and run. One rotation, about 1 second and it fires up on a push start. Just wish it was a 6 banger at times in the hills, but I love the 34 mpgs :laugh3:

Need some insight into these old XJ headlight wiring.

My old XJ had the headlight harness plugs right by the battery, years ago I'd had to redo the wiring because the plug was melted by battery acid over the years.

Re did the engine harness with a 86 model, it's headlight harness plug is on the passenger side instead of by the battery.
The harness is in good shape so I'd rather not cut it, but what years fit 86?
Is there a pigtail kit available,
This is what the 86 headlight harness pug looks like.

f31dc5ec489d0a4867fbd6fafb945dbf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Btw the picture is of the headlight harness that came with the engine harness, it's mostly junk, if I could find a way to wire the plug I could wire my old harness using this plug I guess.

I have one of the first XJs to come off the lot. My grandfather preordered it and received it sometime in 83. Pioneer trim but no power windows, power locks, and the base 2.5. Everything still works though.

One thing i've always wondered about is why the Renix era XJs had a closed cooling system and internal slave on the manuals where my older 84 model has an open cooling system and external slave setup on the AX5 just like the post Renix models.

The move to closed cooling systems was in my opinion an industry wide upgrade and a great improvement.

Internal slave may have been attempt to reduce rock and road hazard targets down under?

Don't know about internal slave, it was what most manufactures were doing at the time but a big PITA for owners who DIY.
I was surprised jeep went from external 84-86 to internal than back again almost decade later.

Yes, the headlight harness connector on 96 and down is awful. If anyone can tell me where to buy the uncrimped pins and plastic housing for it, or what company made it at least, I'd love that. The 97 and later use a Delphi/FCI Apex 2.8mm series connector for the headlight harness, but the early ones I've been unable to find a source for.

External slave is more expensive than internal (you need a fork, throwout bearing, slave cylinder, assorted clips, and a pivot point, plus a longer more complicated input bearing retainer, vs just a combined TOB+slave cylinder and a few clips) but significantly easier to service if the hydraulics fail. There's no real rock damage risk to the XJ external slave cylinder since it's over/inboard from the front driveshaft, but underbrush could theoretically damage it. My guess is expense drove the original internal slave cylinder choice and service complexity drove the '94 introduction of the external slave cylinder.

Hey there y'all!
I'm trying to understand what is this I keep hearing about Rinex? I've had 3 XJ's, 96, 05 and my present build is a 89 XJ dubbed OJ (Ol Jeep).
I don't know one from the other, but I sure miss my 96!
That XJ didn't have as many problems or wasn't as temperamental.

Hey there y'all!
I'm trying to understand what is this I keep hearing about Rinex? I've had 3 XJ's, 96, 05 and my present build is a 89 XJ dubbed OJ (Ol Jeep).
I don't know one from the other, but I sure miss my 96!
That XJ didn't have as many problems or wasn't as temperamental.

First off it is Renix. This refers to the fuel injection computer management system used from 1987 though 1990 and was called Renix due to the Renault / Bendix partnership.

Renix predates any of the ODB variants, so there is no direct computer scanner available on the market other than the Snap-On 2500. I hear rumors that some of the newer high dollar scanners have adapters that can read some of the parameters, but there is no easy way to reprogram the computer for more power etc.

In 1991 Chrysler kept most of the basic Renix fuel injection system, but used their own ECU computer and changed the engine head (it is called an HO meaning High Output). Other minor changes were made here and there.....

96 was a great year for the XJs. One of the best

In 1991 Chrysler kept most of the basic Renix fuel injection system, but used their own ECU computer and changed the engine head (it is called an HO meaning High Output). Other minor changes were made here and there.....

96 was a great year for the XJs. One of the best

Correction on the meaning of HO:

HO myth buster

Renix in 90 made 182 HP. HO in 91 made 190 HP. That's 8 HP difference.

HO only made more HP than Renix at higher RPMs and not a bit more torque. HO had 58 mm throttle body versus a 52 mm throttle body on a Renix and also had a better design header. See where I'm going with this?

The whole 8HP was not mostly from the head, but from the bigger TB and better exhaust manifold.

Put a 60mm TB from www.strokedjeep.com on your present head, eliminate the "crush" in your headpipe with proper re-routing, and go for it.

HO stands for Highly Overrated.

Try this:

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/weather-pack-connector

I think that one, like most of the others was a GM weatherpack. I know the 87-90 connectors, most of them were. I looked at mine on the headlight harness recently and it was about 6 or more wires, flat connector, and IIRC it was also a weather pack.

They are dirt cheap, on ebay, from China and very high quality. I stocked up a huge hoard of them about 8 years ago when 5-90 gave me a clue to follow.

Yes, the headlight harness connector on 96 and down is awful. If anyone can tell me where to buy the uncrimped pins and plastic housing for it, or what company made it at least, I'd love that. The 97 and later use a Delphi/FCI Apex 2.8mm series connector for the headlight harness, but the early ones I've been unable to find a source for.

External slave is more expensive than internal (you need a fork, throwout bearing, slave cylinder, assorted clips, and a pivot point, plus a longer more complicated input bearing retainer, vs just a combined TOB+slave cylinder and a few clips) but significantly easier to service if the hydraulics fail. There's no real rock damage risk to the XJ external slave cylinder since it's over/inboard from the front driveshaft, but underbrush could theoretically damage it. My guess is expense drove the original internal slave cylinder choice and service complexity drove the '94 introduction of the external slave cylinder.

Last edited:
25 to 30 seconds indicates there's a problem in a renix......

I know, was just joking. I was always afraid of Renix until I helped a friend bring back a 1990 that should have gone to the crusher. I'm more comfortable with them once the exploding coolant bottle is gone (HO cooling swap).

Back