• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix, pre-91 era XJ jeep tech differences

I'm going to have to post a picture of what that distributor wiring looks like.
I think a previous owner put a older distributor maybe entire engine in and cut the old plugs for the old gym style ignition coil and spliced the xj's original style plug in.

I'm going to have to get a picture, I've found two wiring harness one if the old style and one is the new both are wrong, but I got to get a picture to show what I'm looking at.

I might just have to knuckle under a buy a used distributor with all the wires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is what the plug for the ignition module in the distributor
ec691296c76cfd60a38b67bb38481c2b.jpg

And this is the plug at the coil
93b9367f5bad738c8701c3212d2a7d0f.jpg

It all standard gm stuff.
I've found these online
This looks like the older gm ignition coil
ffc4dc8430dc98428b9c34cbe3c77533.jpg

This look right at the coil but is wrong where it connect to the distributor
5f7b106b03a732ba30806d24f5b5e69a.jpg

Might just have to buy a used distributor to get the wiring. No body online seems to have it

Motors come with a plug.

Here's something to consider:

http://cruiser54.com/?p=211

Thanks got this straightened out. Did the ground trick then made my own connection with a spade terminal.
The rebuilt motors don't have a plug, the one in the jeep when I bought it had no plug and was just connected directly to the harness, the new harness I put in is in fine shape so I didn't want to butcher it.

This is just for future reference

The 84-85 headlight harness are different than the rest of the xj run. Or at least the 84 early 85 production.

The headlight harness plug is located below the battery area of the engine bay. Bad location and bad design.

Here is what the early harness plugs looks like
f78994bbdb224d1f1ee0d26d7111f429.jpg

Here is what the 86(?) up to mid 90s look like side by side
3dfba6cb35955f4998d6581c9b9ff3e2.jpg

Just posting for anybody trying to look up the differences a few year down the road

Wow, that's even worse than the 86-96 style!

FWIW, the 97-01 connector, a Delphi/FCI Apex series (can't remember if it is a 2.8mm or 1.5mm one) connector, is far superior to both earlier designs. So much so that I have never seen one corrode or become an issue, while every 86-96 front lighting connector I have ever seen looked like the one you posted, or worse.

What's worse, besides the design, is they ran it by the battery so when they leaked it ate away at the plug. My original plug went out that way (actually failed 1000 miles from home) , I bought the 84 harness years ago because I always thought I'd get another original harness, instead I put a 86 harness in.

I totally rewired my headlights, turn signals and running lights up front. Moved things to where I wanted them. My factory lighting plugs looked worse than that with all the corrosion. Upgraded the wire sizes and put the headlights on relays for straight battery power.

1987 AMC XJ. Modifications to engine/ignition include Mopar Performance ECU, auto TPS replaced manual, added MAP input voltage adjustment, replaced exhaust manifold with Borla header, added (2) extra ground cables to engine/body, replaced CPS with high-altitude version, removed and blanked EGR valve including vacuum lines, removed vacuum lines for warm intake air valve in air cleaner housing, electric cooling fan relay has been rewired to allow function if ignition is off, and fuel injectors have been replaced with those for '88-later version (according to Mopar's parts manual).

Most of the above parts replacement were due out of necessity from original parts failing, i.e. cracked manifold, intermittent signal, etc. The remainder were done to eliminate existing or potential issues, i.e vacuum leaks, stuck components, etc.

Have become extremely proficient at diagnosing problems over the last 22 years. Having the factory manuals has of course helped.

Back