• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix off idle stumble.

I'm gonne replace the egr with a spare sometime in the next couple of days, will let you know.

well my spare manifold was missing the EGR valve, so I will look for one this week.

okay disconnected and plugged the vacuum line no miss but the idle was higher, around 1200 rpm, so can I remove it? or will it cause problems?? John

legality and enviro-correctness aside, the 4.0l will run and operate fine without the EGR valve. It was designed to aid in reducing combustion chamber temps to reduce oxides of nitrogen formation, but the "mighty" 4.0l engine is such a low compression, low RPM engine to begin with-- you'll never see exagerated combustion chamber temps to begin with. I've heard many stories of Renix era engines passing smog sniffers with disabled and removed EGR valves.

I would not condone the removal of any emissions related items as a permanant fix, but as a "temporary" bypass to allow you to get a new one, you shouldn't have any negative affercts from running without it.

the 4.0l will run and operate fine without the EGR valve. It was designed to aid in reducing combustion chamber temps to reduce oxides of nitrogen formation, but the "mighty" 4.0l engine is such a low compression, low RPM engine to begin with-- you'll never see exagerated combustion chamber temps to begin with.

I purchased a new EGR valve when I first bought my '89 XJ. Replacing it solved 2 problems. It cured the hesitation/stalling and eliminated a vaccum leak. It was the OEM EGR so I guess I couldn't really complain. Paying the $90 kinda sucked though:mad:.

Back