• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX CPS ALERT

cruiser54

NAXJA Forum User
RENIX CPS ALERT
High altitude CPS for Renix has been discontinued by Chrysler.
The part number is 53005421 and using this CPS advances your ignition timing about five degrees .
There are only about 120 of these available in the US as of November 23, 2011.
Dealer price is around $50.

RENIX CPS ALERT
High altitude CPS for Renix has been discontinued by Chrysler.
The part number is 53005421 and using this CPS advances your ignition timing about five degrees .
There are only about 120 of these available in the US as of November 23, 2011.
Dealer price is around $50.

I got one back when you posted this. Last Friday my Jeep shut off while driving, then restarted. Later that day it stumbled at idle, then shut off. Cranked and no start. After about 5 minutes it restarted.

I'm going to replace the CPS tomorrow with the high altitude CPS and post my observations in a day or two. Thanks Cruiser. I'm replacing my original
87 CPS with 132k miles.

You live in Georgia... What is so high altitude about that state? I live in Idaho and used to work in Wyoming, at almost 7,000 feet, in town...

used them in all my renix, 87 and 88 MJ three XJ's all improved seat of the pants and fuel mileage

I live in Idaho... A lot of Jeeps here are equipped from the factory with them, many have issues at lower altitudes because of them...

Geez. What kind of problems can be caused by advancing the timing about 5*?

Especially on an engine with a knock sensor.

Believe me. Your "friends" had issues other than a high altitude CPS.

Why would the factory offer a high altitude CPS that wouldn't allow their customers to drive at lower elevations without issues? Come on.........

And, just so ya know, I was Service Manager and Shop Foreman at a dealership at a mile high elevation from 1980 through 1992, and never even saw a high altitude CPS on a vehicle from the factory. It was only available from the Parts Department......

also running the hi-alt cps here near sea level in San Diego. my last three renix xj's have all been swapped-not one single issue.
an easy mod that'll benefit any renix.

also running the hi-alt cps here near sea level in San Diego. my last three renix xj's have all been swapped-not one single issue.
an easy mod that'll benefit any renix.

Yes. They've got a knock sensor...

I got a couple PC307s off RockAuto and they were made by the same company as OEM. Drilled the upper bolt hole per my write-up and got .7 to .8 AC volts out of them.

Got it installed today. Tip: the CPS fits into a "dust cover" on the bell housing that has to be removed for the high altitude CPS to fit.

Impression? I notice an improvement mid range. I'm going to try 89 octane for s+g's.
Voltage was 7.7 on an oscilloscope (mechanics).

I'm selling my other HA CPS.

Back