• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix backfiring with HO intake

jeepownzme said:
I also put the Coolant Temperature Switch on the thermostat housing on the '96 motor w/ Renix electronics and it runs just fine.
Glad to hear that, because I like mine a lot better where it is now than where it used to be.
muduck18 said:
so uh, that is the status on that CPS? any change here? just curious...
That is the one thing I haven't gotten around to checking yet. I've replaced every other sensor I can think of including...
O2
IAC
TPS-well a little while ago, but I unplugged it and it idles the same
MAP
I got another MAT sensor from the junkyard just for giggles but I highly doubt it would be that, but I'm going to put it on tomorrow anyway. I will let you guys know what I find out on the CPS. I've gotten to brainstorming a little bit more here too. I'm running the CCV system off of an 00 XJ more or less, however I've still got the intake manifold fitting from a '91 or whatever which is much smaller than the 2000's. The back CCV fitting in the valve cover is orificed really small it seems like, almost smaller than when I ran the original RENIX valve cover with those goofy CCV elbows. Could this make any difference? Should I be putting the 00's fitting in my manifold like that one guy on MADXJ did? Thanks again for all the help guys, I'd be stuck without ya. Let me know your opinions.
Thanks,
Collin

Last edited:
The resistance between the CPS terminals checks out to be 281 Ohms which I believe is in spec. Is there any other way I should be checking it? I'm also starting to wonder if maybe the IAC I got is bad. I got a "brand new" one from O'Reilly's but today I had it randomly stick and it stayed at 2000 rpms until I shut it down and restarted. It has also been revving up pretty high every time I start it again which it wasn't doing for a while. I also installed that other MAT sensor and it made no difference. When I swapped this other engine in, I left the dist. in it but used my cap and wires however the rotor was stuck on the shaft that I had replaced, should I be putting a new rotor on? Could that be it? Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
Just for fun I replaced the CPS today, dropped a bolt down in the bellhousing, so when I say fun, I mean fun. But it's still not doing any better. I'm really running out of ideas here, the only thing I can think of is its a sensor I've already replaced and it's gone bad again like the TPS. If anyone has any more input on this deal I would be much obliged.
-Collin

Okay replaced the TPS again and that still didn't help. I'm thinking it's either a bad CTS again or it's fuel/timing related. Thanks for all the help trying to diagnose it though guys.

Back