• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing front coils

you don't NEED one but i found it is helpful. taking out the stock springs i didn't need one but if you don't jack up the front end enough and take off the LCA's or drag link you may need it. for any springs bigger than 3" i would use it

I replaced my stock coils with some UC replacements a week ago. Glad I had the spring compressors. The new springs were physically shorter, but much harder to compress. I didn't want to start tearing things apart, so I just used the compressors and disco'd the sway bar. Much better than disassembling everything IMO.

Thanks, I just went to Harbor freight and got some cheap spring compressors for $10. I'm taking stock springs out and just putting them back in after changing the bump stop. Mine is half gone!

Don't forget you can rent spring compressors from places like Autozone and Advanced for FREE.

And be careful with them .... there is a LOT of energy packed into those compressed springs.

JUST BE CAREFUL! Using the cheap compressors is one thing but dont let the springs point at your face or body while compressed incase something would happen. Also, be careful not to drop or bump the spring while compressed. I am probably one of the worst people when it comes to safety but man those springs can really hurt you.

it's very easy. All you need to do is disconnect your shocks and then take a bottle jack and place it between the frame rail and the lower control arm and jack the axle down. Make sure you watch your brake lines so you don't overextend it.

Doing it this way should only take you 15 min. per side.

Those cheap spring compressors are XXXXin scary. :(

In all the different lift & suspension arrangements I've had on mine, I've never once used a spring compressor.

Those cheap spring compressors are XXXXin scary. :(

In all the different lift & suspension arrangements I've had on mine, I've never once used a spring compressor.
x2!

:flame:

Well I got it done and the Harbor Freight compressors did fine. But I really didn't need to compress the springs much. I didn't see the bottle jack idea until I was done, I'd try that next time!

Well I got it done and the Harbor Freight compressors did fine. But I really didn't need to compress the springs much. I didn't see the bottle jack idea until I was done, I'd try that next time!

I've swapped my springs prob. half a dozen times and currently have 6.5" springs in there and the bottle jack method works every time.

Back