• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Crankshaft Bolt on 4.0l

I use the "ghetto impact method" described by 2stix most of the time instead of waiting for my compressor to fill, and hauling out the impact.

I find using a rubber mallet works better than a metal hammer. Big head so you can't miss, you won't marr up your tools, and the rebound of the rubber seems to help as well.

OP: is the flywheel/flexplate still installed?

Edit: too slow

Last edited:
No flexplate installed yet, but I do have it in a box. Just saying haha.

I tried hammering off that damn harmonic balancer, I dont need it anyways. but it wont budge. I just want to get on to rebuilding this motor.

I pulled the mains, and rod bearings and I only found one slightly scored rod bearing. Besides that the motor is very gunky. Think I will just get the block cleaned. and replace all the bearings

If you do rent a puller try to get one that threads into your harmonic balancer vs one that works like a gear puller. Just easier to work with and you don't have to worry about one of the legs slipping off because you don't have it set right.

Neighbor borrowed me one yesterday, Glad I had my impact.

I have a 12 gallon tank and it took 5 full fills of air before that balancer came off. By hand it would have been damn near impossible lol

Its all apart. Cranks is mint. Found one rod bearing that was questionable and 2-3 pistons had some marking on them.

But the block has nice cylinder walls. just gotta get it cleaned and prolly go 2 or 3 over to be safe

i just replaced the rear main seal and got to look at the rear main bearing and was totally amazed how little wear there was on a 230K+ engine. i think these things can live forever.

Back