• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reliable Jeep Mechanic in Portland

he just said he doesn't have the time or energy to do it. Some people's time is more valuable to them then the money it would cost to fix it himself.

Sorry I can't help you with a mechanic.

Must be nice to have money to pay someone to replace a simple seal... :)

IMO it's hard to screw up putting in the rear main seal (well, as long as they take there time when putting the oil pan back on)...so just start calling around local shops, and get quotes and turn around times. Then do a little googling to make sure they check out. :thumbup:

~Scott

So, NOBODY is helpful.
Only time I've taken my Jeep to the shop was Jeepers in Lake O. Their prices aren't necessarily any better BUT they try their hardest to help out where they can, for example, I had to pull out my radiator for the work that needed doing so they let me come into the shop and do the labor so it would save me money. Now I know that sounds the opposite from what you're looking for but my thought is that if their willing to help out however they can, their prices might not be too bad and at least they'll be honest.
Just a thought...

So, NOBODY is helpful.
Only time I've taken my Jeep to the shop was Jeepers in Lake O. Their prices aren't necessarily any better BUT they try their hardest to help out where they can, for example, I had to pull out my radiator for the work that needed doing so they let me come into the shop and do the labor so it would save me money. Now I know that sounds the opposite from what you're looking for but my thought is that if their willing to help out however they can, their prices might not be too bad and at least they'll be honest.
Just a thought...

Great, I'll put them on the short list. Thank you.

I realize paying someone to do a repair goes against the spirit of NAXJA, but in my position (taking 18 credits of civil engineering classes and trying my hardest to keep a lovely girlfriend happy), right now finding time to wrench on the Jeep is next to impossible. I don't have a great place to work on my rig, my tool supply is limited, and I simply do not have the time right now.

I realize paying someone to do a repair goes against the spirit of NAXJA

Not at all man, not everyone can have the time to wrench on their junk all the time. I have paid for things to be done because I either don't want to deal with it or want it done right away.

Either way good luck on finding a shop, and good luck in school.

-Alex

This may sound kind of funny but I would take it to Landcruisers NW in Portland, they are great people and they know their shit. I worked there for a while as did my friend, they do alot of maint. stuff and alot of custom offroad stuff as well. PHONE# (503) 224-5115

Great, I'll put them on the short list. Thank you.

I realize paying someone to do a repair goes against the spirit of NAXJA, but in my position (taking 18 credits of civil engineering classes and trying my hardest to keep a lovely girlfriend happy), right now finding time to wrench on the Jeep is next to impossible. I don't have a great place to work on my rig, my tool supply is limited, and I simply do not have the time right now.

Totally understandable man, I personally do most of my own work on my rig because I can't afford to have others do it. If I were in your position and had the funds, I would do the same.

~Scott

IMO it's hard to screw up putting in the rear main seal (well, as long as they take there time when putting the oil pan back on)
~Scott

First, it's VERY easy to damage and screw up the rear main seal if you're not careful.

Second, taking time to put the oil pan back on has NOTHING to do with screwing up the rear main seal. The RMS is inside the rear main bearing cap.

There is a good place in beaverton/oregon, Tigard SUV repar off of scholls http://www.tigardsuv.com/ The two guys you see on the site are actually behind the counter. They have worked on all 2 of the three jeeps I have owned and a few of my other cars. always done a great job. They communicate very well, and will call you and get your approval or information if they find something. There rates and repair times are very good. At least I think they are. Usually its same day.

OK well MY experience is a bit different then what im reading, I found the RMS on the 4.0liter to be the biggest hassle i have EVER dealt with on a jeep, i would rather swap the whole motor, or pay the dealership, then to ever try that again.

And in MY opinion, the 2 piece design is ridiculous. Instead of "Tapping it in carefully" it goes inside a "sleeve" that is carved into the block, witch inevitably is Fragile!

First, it's VERY easy to damage and screw up the rear main seal if you're not careful.

Second, taking time to put the oil pan back on has NOTHING to do with screwing up the rear main seal. The RMS is inside the rear main bearing cap.

I suppose I forgot the whole part about the bearing cap. I replaced the RMS along with the timing chain/gears/seal over the summer...the hardest part for me was cleaning off the surface of the bottom end to put the oil pan back on. (Well, pulling out the rock solid old RMS was a biatch too...but do-able with patience)

~Scott

Another good shop to go to is in Tualatin. Right on Tualatin/Sherwood near Teton by the Tualatin Auto Body.

I think the name is something simple like Tualatin Auto Repair or Sherwood Auto Repair, can't remember for sure.

But, one of the mechanics there is an old friend of my brother in law and an expert in repair of anything Cherokee.

Just an update. Jeepers in Lake Oswego did an excellent job. They kept me informed the entire time, updated me on the status of the few things wrong with the Jeep, and went the extra mile to keep me happy.

Turns out my CCV system was basically clogged (they showed me one of the rubber hoses - it was packed with crud), so they replaced the lines and some other goodies while they were at it.

The entire job came in just shy of $500, which I think is pretty fair, considering how much work a rear main seal is. Bill Erickson, the owner, is easy to deal with and doesn't try to pull any tricks. I'd be happy to do business with them again.

Back