• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Refueling camping size propane bottles?

GSequoia

Everyone says I'm a jerk.
NAXJA Member
I've seen products out there to refill your normally disposable camp size (16.4oz) propane bottles off of a large tank, has anybody here used them? Are these worth the time or do you end up with a crappy underfilled bottle? I'd like to be able to keep from tossing them but I'd rather not deal with underfilled bottles.

Thanks

From what Ive read, the problem isnt that they wont fill, its that there is a small chance of overfilling them if proper procedures are not followed.

Very VERY dangerous. Being in that industry we get to watch all kinds of fun, bloody training videos. More than a few have been over accidents from filling them.

I've got a setup for doing this but it came with a refillable bottle and explicitly stated not to use the refiller for the disposable bottles.

Overfilling. They have a relief valve which keeps the tank itself from exploding but it puts an uncontrollable cloud of propane in the air that you can't shut off.

so what your saying is i should probably quit smoking before/during/ and after the refill process then? :D

i just use a small tank with adapters to my camp stoves and such that's light and works great. plus it's refillable anywhere that refill propane.

Propane expands like crazy when it gets warm. You could fill one to a safe level and then it warms up 20* and it's not safe anymore.

I'm also using a small tank with adapters. Works quite well.

Back