• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Refreshments...

Which flavor?

• Schwarzbier

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • India Pale Ale

• Super Alt

• St Paul Porter

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Oatmeal Stout

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • If it doesn't taste like Bud Light, I'm not drinking it!

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
lesslimited said:
Wow, I guess this was one of those rare times when I could have watched TV. Oh well, maybe next year...

Not currently available in Illinois, but Bell's Two-Hearted Ale is one of the best IPAs I've ever had, and I have 5 gallons of a pretty good clone almost ready to keg.

My favorite microbrewery - Bells.

Love that two hearted. Ever had the double chocolate stout? Oberon is good also if you like wheat.

I think IPA is my favorite beer type. That and a tall barley wine.

I should be in for a corney of Altbier. I plan to keg and sample it the week before WF to make sure it's worthy of the campfire.

Like stouts and porters, it's hard to screw up an alt, since they all have pretty hearty flavors that will mask any subtle off-flavors.

My first choice for the oatmeal stout was a clone of the Barney Flats one, but due to the hop shortage I wound up going with the Northern Brewer partial mash kit, which has been good, too. I still may try to hop it with something more traditional than the Chinook that's included in the kit.

Man, I am jealous. Someday I will make it over there. Badlands looks like it has good variety in pictures (expedition and rock crawling type trails, mud). Not to mention homebrew, IPA's and stouts are the best! Have fun and take a ton of pics please! Maybe even video?

tbrunson said:
Man, I am jealous. Someday I will make it over there. Badlands looks like it has good variety in pictures (expedition and rock crawling type trails, mud). Not to mention homebrew, IPA's and stouts are the best! Have fun and take a ton of pics please! Maybe even video?

WTF?

You are in UT and are jelous because you can't go to the Badlands?!?

Buahahahahahaha!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Haleyes said:
WTF?

You are in UT and are jelous because you can't go to the Badlands?!?

Buahahahahahaha!!!

:roflmao: :roflmao:

A guy in Utah who likes mud is the same as a guy in Indiana that liked to rock crawl.

That and you can't get good beer there.

Lots of reasons to long for Indiana...

Well said Dirk Pitt. I find the mud/dirt type stuff a lot more fun than the rocks for whatever reason. You can get good beer, just have to go to the state operated liquor store and pay a premium. Stores and pretty much anywhere else are limited to 3.2% by weight or 4.0% by volume.

I'll be brewing the oatmeal stout tomorrow. Out of the other beers I have or will have, I will bring one of the following. Czech pilsner, Sam Adams-ish lager, California common, or Irish draught.

So, Adam, want to bring an IPA? We'd have a nice assortment then.

lesslimited said:
I'll be brewing the oatmeal stout tomorrow. Out of the other beers I have or will have, I will bring one of the following. Czech pilsner, Sam Adams-ish lager, California common, or Irish draught.

So, Adam, want to bring an IPA? We'd have a nice assortment then.

I think I can swing that.

I did brew the oatmeal stout the other night. Got the mash temp pretty close...

Looks yummy, don't it? :D

Next day, starting to ferment

Normally I use the 6.5 gallon carboys for primary, with a regular airlock, but I had my Irish Draught secondaried in this one with the same yeast the stout uses, so I transferred the Irish and racked the stout onto the yeast cake, then pitched the fresh smack pack too. Got it fermenting real good...

Kegged it tonight...

Slightly chilled and flat, tastes excellent. At least as good as my best Barney Flats clone. Got it hooked up to 12 psi Co2, so it should be carbonated just right by next week.

Still haven't decided what else to bring, I'll have to sample some of my other kegs to see what's good.

:cheers:

homer.jpg

Looks tasty...

skoolie72 said:
1 vote for the Sam Adams-esque lager.
Although...I'm not much of a drinker...
:shhh:

I'm still working on that one. I think I made it a little too big, and the yeast ran out of steam before it was fully fermented. It tastes decent, and the hop profile is close to Sam, but it's a bit on the sweet side. I pitched some more yeast last week, and I'll get another hydrometer reading this weekend.

The Irish Draught and Cali Common are both tasty, and the Czech Pilsner is decent, if a bit boring to me. That might be one that would be more appealing to the BOMC drinkers.

OK, just sampled all my spare beer
partyon.gif
, and it looks like I'll be bringing the Czech Pilsner. It's a clean crisp lager, with no strong flavors, pretty much tastes like plain ol' beer, but no where near as boring as Bud or Old Style.

And the oatmeal stout is now carbonated and tastes great, even warm.

From the Northern Brewer website where I ordered the kit...

"Famed beer writer Michael Jackson is credited with reviving this nearly forgotten old English classic when he wrote about it in 1977. He describes these ebony potables as "firm, smooth, silky, [with] a hint of nuttiness in their complex of coffee, chocolate and roast flavors." If we could describe our Oatmeal Stout more eloquently, we'd be the ones getting paid to drink the best beers in the world."

:cheers:

Little boys and beer.

What a combo.:looser:

You trying to get Ramsey show up John?

:laugh3:

Last edited:
Back