• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recommedation for a STAR certified smog check in the San Diego area?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
First place I went wouldn't pass it because I don't have a receipt proving the catalytic converter was installed prior to 2009. Never mind the 2006 date stamped on the cat.

Failed the second place because I had the battery disconnected while installing the new cat and Borla header (And yes, after fitting everything in I then took the Jeep to a muffler shop to have them run the weld beads so I could have a receipt. Man I hate what this state has turned into.). Numbers are clean as a whistle, but two monitors haven't yet checked themselves so it is a failure. They won't cut me any slack on the second test either, even though they have already done the full visual etc.

I have a great "test only" place, but they are not STAR certified so I can't use them.

Any recommendations, besides moving to a free state?

I used North County Smog and Repair Center.

Scotty worked on my 1993 and took some extra time to make sure everything was correct. Got me all fixed up and PASSED.

(760) 591-4859
1288 W. San Marcos Blvd. Suite 116
San Marcos, CA 92078

I've used Yaro at Convoy Smog for years...like 13 years or so. They're on Convoy Street, just south of Target/Costco but north of Aero. 858-576-0936.

Tell Yaro "Carol Horsley with the Jeeps" sent you =).

He won't play games (good or bad)...

Thank you all for the suggestions. After five attempts it finally has passed smog.

The first place I went wouldn't even admit it to test it because I did not have a receipt for the installation of the catalytic converter. Long story. Supposedly the cat would be legal if I had a receipt with a date before 2009 proving it was installed then, but lacking that I have to have a cat with a current E.O. number.

After replacing the cat it still failed at the second place because the computer had not set all of the monitors and they had not checked for that before testing.

I then came here for recommendations.

I took it to Wally at Thomas and Brothers on Monday and he checked for the monitors and it still had one monitor it had not yet set.

I drove it around a bunch more and took it back to Wally today and it finally had set all the monitors, but he couldn't test it because he has a dead BMW on the lift above his treadmill. Wally suggested I try some place down on Morena, but I don't know anything about that shop.

So I went to Convoy Smog and finally got it passed.

What a hassle. I have got to figure out how to turn this thing into a diesel.

What a hassle. I have got to figure out how to turn this thing into a diesel.

My diesel Jetta has to be "smogged". Basically they plug into it and waste a few pints of diesel while it idles for 15 minutes then I pay the ransom and it's "smogged".

But what year is your diesel Jetta?

I believe the cut-off year is 1997, and 1998 and newer require a smog check. My 1995 Cummins is exempt.

I need to find out what differences there are in the rules for cars versus trucks, and just where in that scenario an XJ falls. I know a 1986 diesel XJ is exempt. I think a 1996 diesel XJ would also be exempt, but I don't know so for a fact.

I think I am going to have to go get acquainted with a referee and find out just what hoops I would have to jump through so I can figure out if it is worth it.

It would be worth it and non-smoggable but you'd lose the parts everywhere aspect of the 4.0. You may also find yourself in trouble with transmission gear rations not lining up to the new powerplant's powerband.

If you do it soon though let me know, I need that AX-15 :D

PS - Get a $150 scan tool and you can check monitor readiness yourself. Alternatively if you give me notice before an AAT maintenance run I can bring my Snap On MT2500 with me.

If I do it I think I am keeping the AX-15.

Supposedly a mid '80s Mercedes Benz diesel is a reasonable conversion. Assuming I can drop an older diesel into the XJ. This is one of the conversations topics for the referee.

It won't be all that soon. My projects move like molasses in January. The Varmints take priority for now.

Assuming I can drop an older diesel into the XJ. This is one of the conversations topics for the referee.

That, might be the crux of the issue.

I'd like to do a manual shift 2.8 CRD out of a KJ one day.

The Varmints take priority for now.

Make them do the work!

Make them do the work!

We are still at the stage where them doing the work takes twice as much effort on my part.

We will get there though.

They have to be strong enough to break a lug loose all on their own first.

Nice thing is after watching them working on the last AAT Sebastian got fired up to put real work in. Charlotte did as well since big brother was.

LR-20150711-017-la.jpg

Thanks! Hope to see them out again soon! I'll even let you play with the red axe again.

Don't quote me on this but it was my understanding that if the vehicle was originally a gas engine, one can not swap it to diesel in California. This is what ended my hopes of doing a 4bt conversion in the MJ.

It is also my understanding, you can swap a gas motor for another, however, but it needs to be newer that the original motor and have all the OEM smog equipment out of the vehicle the new motor was removed from. I would suggest a post 2001 motor and engine management system as they do not require a dyno anymore (plug in only)

Definitely do your research and speak with a referee but I believe your best (financial) bet will be to just make the updated corrections to your existing XJ should you have another batch of smog issues in the future.

Don't quote me on this but it was my understanding that if the vehicle was originally a gas engine, one can not swap it to diesel in California. This is what ended my hopes of doing a 4bt conversion in the MJ.

It is also my understanding, you can swap a gas motor for another, however, but it needs to be same year or newer that the original motor and have all the OEM smog equipment out of the vehicle the new motor was removed from. I would suggest a post 2001 motor and engine management system as they do not require a dyno anymore (plug in only)

Definitely do your research and speak with a referee but I believe your best (financial) bet will be to just make the updated corrections to your existing XJ should you have another batch of smog issues in the future.

Its definatlely worth pqaying the $35 to speak with the ref before you begin your swap, he will tell you what he wants to see. The ref wants you to pass, he is your friend.

I had good luck with the ref down at cuyamaca community college. Old hot rod guy that runs the auto program there.

I used North County Smog and Repair Center.

Scotty worked on my 1993 and took some extra time to make sure everything was correct. Got me all fixed up and PASSED.

(760) 591-4859
1288 W. San Marcos Blvd. Suite 116
San Marcos, CA 92078

I use one of the Scotts there too. He's a desert guy and will work with you. Been really good to me with my jeep. Always gives you the coupon too. Lol

Back