• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for Los angeles area gear swap for around a grand

Hoodie ninja

NAXJA Forum User
I would have swore I had seen a place advertising gear swaps around a thousand dollars. Might have even been towards san gabriel/ san bernardino area.
Otherwise. What are my options?
Not looking to do it myself, and not looking to use my local jeep shop because he is expensive as hell.
I did this before thinking I was going to swap the gears on a 92 wrangler and bought both sets of gears for around 500 and figured I could save the rest. I ended up driving it over to him with the front end open and front driveshaft off. Then spent $2000 to get the gears installed.

Not looking to do that again.

Also. What else should I do at the same time? U joints on the driveshafts and front axles, or only if they feel bad?

I am in northern los angeles county, I would like a shop between lancaster and maybe the 210/57 area, and maybe long beach being the furthest that way.

I have not done price shopping yet.

90 cherokee 4.0 5 speed
D30
3 inch lift
31s

Looking for 4.56
And install a lunch box locker at the same time.

Thanks for any help

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I know a lot of places will do gear setups a LOT cheaper if you bring them the axles already removed from the vehicle.

Honestly don't think you'll be able to do front and rear for $1k with a locker. The guy that taught me used to charge $250 each, plus the parts.

I already have the locker. Just havent installed it.

Also should i swap out the disco D30 for a non disco? And I don't even know if it is HP or LP. Although i believe it is LP.

I just dont want to go to a shop and pay $1000 for the same gears that i can buy on ebay or amazon for $400.

I will buy them from the shop for $5-600 if that is their markup, but more than doubling the cost is ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Your D30 is high pinion.

Honestly don't think you'll be able to do front and rear for $1k with a locker. The guy that taught me used to charge $250 each, plus the parts.

Thats what I charged when I was doing them. $250 labor+parts but that was when minimum wage was 6.35 an hour. Probably about $300 to $400 now.

Agreed! Tom did a great job on my 8.25. Dropped the axle off with him on a Wednesday and it was done Friday morning. Gears and lockers install Ran $250 IIRC

Give Tom a call at Performance Gearing in Azuza. He does good work at a reasonable price.

Back