• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuild my XJ or Replace it?

@ 89xj
Now that is good information to know and I have really been wondering how that was all going to work.

@VAhasnoWAVES
The body is in great condition, there is minor surface rust where the battery used to be but that is about it. I think all the mud and grease on the under body protected the metal. It has never been in an accident and the paint is not flaking off or wearing.

The more I think about it the more I am tilting back to doing the swap, and I do not have an immediate need. More so I am impatient and want to be driving the darn thing.

Again my only concern comes down to is getting a good used engine, transmission, and transfer case. I don't mind dumping some cash on adapter parts or certain components although I wish I had the $$ to do all new!

If the electrical is screwed get a new rig with non- FUBAR'd wiring!

We have the 'joy' of living in California.
You need to smog it.
Get another XJ.
Cheaper and easier in the long run.

The best XJ is one that is wheeled/driven frequently.

Use the best parts off the old one for the new one and sell what is left.

Well this XJ wont be my daily driver, but I can guarantee that once it is running it will be driving. I did some reading and research and came up with a proposed drivetrain setup.

@Lodi
I am gonna kind of look your way for some advice as far how hard smog would be but here it is:
LM7 5.3L V8 with a TH400 transmission (which I already have) and most likely an NP231 t-case. I would also switch my D35 to a D44 rear.

This is great information as I want to act soon so I can have this thing running by end of summer (or a different Jeep).

id pick up a nice running stocker and put my old off road stuff on it

That's my plan. Got the '98 stocker, still waiting to begin swapping stuff. I didn't have the option of "fixing" my old one (rolled and totalled) but it absolutely depends on the condition of his old XJ. Was he happy with it before he tore it down? Does it have numerous age/wear related issues that will need to be addressed, particularly in the unibody? Does the cab seal-up well, is the glass intact, are the body panels relatively straight?

Without some pics or info regarding these kinds of issues, it's tough to say which is better, rebuild or replace. A sound, non -trashed stocker is always preferable IMO to a previously trail-driven rig if you're planning on swapping/building the rig yourself. You may or may not like many of the previous wheeler/owner mods, and there may be numerous issues that you don't see or notice at first that make it annoying to drive, expensive or time/labor intrusive to address, or even a non-starter as a sound base if there's too much rust or bent/trashed base metal in the unibody.

I'd give your old rig a thorough going-over top to bottom to assess what condition it's really in, paying particular attention to underbody corrosion and if all the doors and hatch open/close properly and seal up well.

forum posters always a little over zealous probably less than 5% have ever tackled such a large project, replace it with a used cherokee and you could be wheeling in 2 weeks or start rebuilding and spend your summer posting questions here and cursing...

So my proposed setup is settled and planned. I will be moving forward with the build in a few weeks once I get all the funds setup and locate my transplant.

I will keep a detailed post of the build and I am sure I will have 10000 questions through out this build.

Thank you for all the advice it was not an easy decision

So my proposed setup is settled and planned./QUOTE]

Is it top secret or something?

I had posted it in a different reply but to recap here it is:

LM7 5.3L V8, TH400 Auto transmission, and a NP231 T-case. Now I may change the transfer case, but from what I was reading I should be okay. I also have a D44 out of another XJ that will dropped in during all this as well.

Well this XJ wont be my daily driver, but I can guarantee that once it is running it will be driving. I did some reading and research and came up with a proposed drivetrain setup.

@Lodi
I am gonna kind of look your way for some advice as far how hard smog would be but here it is:
LM7 5.3L V8 with a TH400 transmission (which I already have) and most likely an NP231 t-case. I would also switch my D35 to a D44 rear.

This is great information as I want to act soon so I can have this thing running by end of summer (or a different Jeep).
If you can't find a d44 with the right gears for a price you like, aim for an 8.8, they're easy to find with 3.55s, 3.73s, or 4.10s. Requires welding though. XJ 44s command a premium around here, I've seen them go for 250 to 300. On the other hand I picked up an 8.8 with 4.10s and all the materials required to replace all the disc brake hardware and set it up for an XJ for 350, and just pulled another with 3.55s for a guy on here last weekend for 130.

forum posters always a little over zealous probably less than 5% have ever tackled such a large project, replace it with a used cherokee and you could be wheeling in 2 weeks or start rebuilding and spend your summer posting questions here and cursing...
I've pulled a full drivetrain (from a '99) and helped install another (in a '98.) As soon as I find a garage to rent for a decent amount I'll be doing another, on my '91, will be pulling the drivetrain, swapping transmission and adding a transfer case, replacing any seals within easy reach and probably doing rod bearings and a flexplate from the sound of it. It's not really THAT bad - a bunch of hoses and wires and crap, some mounts, driveshafts, exhaust, that's about it. Pull the whole thing at once, remove the radiator and nose and slide it out the front.

well for the transfer case I am still. I am still at a stage where I am flexible with that particular part. I will be more definitive on the transfer case before I start dropping parts in.

Back