• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear window that rolls down!

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but, wouldn't the fact that the hatch isn't straight up and down cause problems for the whole idea? You'd need a bending window for it to work.

How many cars have straight side windows/doors?

The angle doesn't matter we can make that work its the fact that the glass is almost 4 inches wider than the lower half of the hatch, there fore it wont roll down into it.:bawl:

Please just do one thing for me before you start this project..... buy yourself an extra hatch to do this on, off of the vehicle, that way when you screw it up, or give up on it, youll still have a clean dry matching hatch still on your XJ to drive around with. Trust me, youll be happeir this way, however it turns out! Good luck...keep us posted!

Please just do one thing for me before you start this project..... buy yourself an extra hatch to do this on, off of the vehicle, that way when you screw it up, or give up on it, youll still have a clean dry matching hatch still on your XJ to drive around with. Trust me, youll be happeir this way, however it turns out! Good luck...keep us posted!

Thats the game plan.

Thought I would add two cents for anyone attempting a removable/roll down rear window. I had the unfortunate luck to smash my rear window this week. After some thought experiments I toyed with the idea of making a removeable poly/lexan window. However after DD the rig for the last five days, I can say with certainty that the fumes suck. I even tried out a Orvis style rear wing, all that did was suck in more fumes.

Blew mine out last week. No fumes to report. Toyed with the idea of grafting the top part of a ZJ tailgate on the XJ to get the flip Window, but it's not worth the effort to me... I'll have a tire carrier in the way anyway.

Last edited:
Much easier: removable back hatch.

Back