• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear window replacement???

Cache96

NAXJA Forum User
My windows out back is broken and i was thinking of putting lexan or plexiglass... my question is what thickness and where to buy?? Any of you guys done it?

IMG00171-20100601-1742.jpg

lol!

That window has a curve to it, its going to be pretty hard to get a piece of lexan or plexi to fit in there correctly. I would put some tabs around the window frame, get a sheet of 1/4" lexan, and put a fuel cell in with the filler right there. then it looks like you did it on purpose

:D

You can do lexan or plexi. in 1/8th or 3/16 and it will conform to the curve pretty easily.(1/4" won't, it's pretty stiff)) The trick to cutting the stuff is to go slow. If the plastic starts to heat up, it'll get gummy and start to stick to the blade. Instead of getting frustrated, speeding up and ruining the plastic, this is where you stop and cool it down(icewater helps)especially with plexi.(it'll crack)

go track down a glass company that does lexan/alucobond panels, at the end of a job we have plenty of cut off that is the perfect size for a small rear quarter window.

OR
just find a replacement window.

i only bring home scrap aluminum these days, sorry. lexan doesnt pay, so we throw it away.

We're starting a black alucobond job in 2-3 weeks), i will bring home peices. i have a peice of white alucobond in my rear quarter glass pocket (white jeep, caulked in with white, with a white lebaron vent. i intent to put a tranny cooler inside, ducted thru the vent)

any plastics supplier can get lexan or plexi, the stuff scratches easy though. i like to use a jigsaw with a coarse tooth blade to cut it, it ejects the little pieces pretty well so they don't gum up and stick. make sure you keep it moving at a good pace though, and keep strong even pressure on it or it will shake the plexi and shatter it.

to deal with the scratching issue ive had good luck using clear tinting film, the stuff they put on windshields to block the uv rays. either that or the 3m stuff that goes on the front to pretect from stone chips - that works a little better but its much more expensive. since your windows are already tinted maybe regular tint film would be a good idea for you, just put it on the outside. the outside is going to end up looking pretty bad a lot quicker than the inside due to airborn dust wind scratches while you're driving it.

Last edited:
regular window tint will last >1year on the outside, i wonder how the 3m stuff lasts.... i know racers use it, but i bet they R&R quite often.

i've got a buddy who runs a charger out at bonneville, he said the 3M stuff is the only thing he's found that doesn't haze over as it scratches up. He said its like a softer plastic or something and it doesn't really scratch. it will tear though if something with a sharp edge hits it.

Back