• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tow point

massxj

NAXJA Forum User
im thinking of going to mohawk run but dont have a rear tow point . what i was thinking of would be to remove the ball from my bumper hitch and put a 3/4 d ring would this be ok or should i try to figure some other way. havent had time or money to make a new bumper

the tow point off your bumper is only as strong as your bumper is connected so if you trust the strength the goferit!

i have pulled from it few times but what i need to know is it ok as far as naxja saftey people ( will they let me ride )

if its a true bumper hitch, its only class 1 or 2 and would not stand up to a couple of good tugs, fwiw get a class 3 hitch - yep its more money, but it is anchored so it wont pull apart after a hard pull, the four bolts holding your bumper go into weldnuts on thin sheet metal, if it gets torn up it is going to be a big pain in the a** to fix. aside from flying XJ parts in the brief moments after you attemped tug ....(overly dramatic maybe but it could happen) just my ignorant .02 :greensmok

Depending on your budgit you could try JC whitney and order the class 3 Hitch Its only something like $100 and then you can use that as tow point and beable to safely tow around other things.

i would not trust a bumper hitch to be strong enough for the purposes of vehicle recovery.. a factory receiver hitch can easily be found in wrecking yards for very litle $$ if you pull it yourself.. if its been on a while it should come right off by twisting off the bolts with a long breaker bar since they like to freeze in with rust.. it costs a few $$ to do it right but the saftey benefits are worth it.. tech inspections will be done before we head out to the trails..

mike

The key question is -- whose bumper hitch do you have? The old 80's vintage factory Class I hitch is acceptable, as long as it hasn't rusted away to a dim memory of what it began as. It has a full cross-bar that bolts to the frame. I ran my '88 with that hitch for the first two or three years I was in NAXJA.

Then I crawled underneath and looked at it. I now have a Mopar Class III hitch.

If it is an aftermarket bumper hitch, no it is not acceptable.

well maybe this isnt the best thing to do but way not just hook to one of the leaf springs. Ive pulled and been pulled by the leaf spring with no problems.

scottsxj said:
well maybe this isnt the best thing to do but way not just hook to one of the leaf springs. Ive pulled and been pulled by the leaf spring with no problems.

you're right, its not... only an acceptable method if all else fails.. it will work, sure, but defeats the purpose of upgrading your rig for wheeling.. like building a house with no windows.. sure it might save some $$ but does it really make sense? and the time WILL come when you need them.. money is always tight but certain things are just simple basic REQUIREMENTS..

sorry guys i was an vacation the hitch i have has a cross bar( around 1 1/4 inch) four bolts to the uniframe then it bolts to the bumper

i know it will work i do it all the time but will the safety inspector let it go

sounds like a factory hitch.. and if thats what it is it wiill be accepted as long as the mounting points AND the bumper are solid and not rotted out.... get under there and check it real close and be realistic... lack of a stronger recovery pont may keep you off the tougher trails if thats what you are looking for... if its solid and secure it is acceptable...

its all solid so ill just blow out the hole for the ball and put in a 3/4 d ring and hope for the best. still doing the gears not much time for the hitch

Back