• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear radius arms

smilesyota

NAXJA Member #1366
Has anyone used a setup just like the front longarm but in the rear?
I made one for my samuari but never got a chance to wheel it. It flexed great! I'm just not sure how it would work in the real world of wheelin.

there are quite a few people doing it. Although I am not one of them it looks as if it is a challenging set up to get it right. Do a search on rear 4-link, rear coils etc. You will see a lot of threads about it.

radius arms in the rear will provide for fairly high flex-steer and anti-squat. my 3 link rear has a bit of flex-steer and it hasn't been a problem. everyone has a different anti-squat preference, so you may like having it high but you'll probably want a center limit strap. the longer and flatter the arms the better both the anti-squat and flex-steer will be.

BrettM said:
radius arms in the rear will provide for fairly high flex-steer and anti-squat. my 3 link rear has a bit of flex-steer and it hasn't been a problem. everyone has a different anti-squat preference, so you may like having it high but you'll probably want a center limit strap. the longer and flatter the arms the better both the anti-squat and flex-steer will be.

Yeah, it's doable, but you need a Panhard, which adds some complication. triangulated uppers, lowers, or both, is just so much better in terms of achieving acceptable anti-squat numbers. However, the packaging on just the trailing arm portion of the system would be easier.

CRASH said:
Yeah, it's doable, but you need a Panhard, which adds some complication. triangulated uppers, lowers, or both, is just so much better in terms of achieving acceptable anti-squat numbers. However, the packaging on just the trailing arm portion of the system would be easier.
some people have sucessfully run without panhards by using Y type radius arms (like you used to run, not like Ford arms) and run the "uppers" all the way to the middle. if everything was solid this would not allow any side movement, but it also wouldn't allow any articulation, so I'm a little skeptical of how much side movement it gets with bushing slop.

You can look into doing something like this in the back. This is Campbell Enterprises work, and supposedly works very well at locating the axle. There was some discussion on pirate about it a while back. I believe they've been running it for a few years. Maybe with the rear you can move the links to the top of the pumpkin.

shop%20pics0005.jpg

i asked that same question on pirate, and the owner and driver respoded saying this thing drove like crap, he said he no longer runs this setup.

EDIT-and it doesnt really make sense to me, its like half assing a dual triangulated 4 link with that setup, plus the whole vehicles weight and the axle location is only spread apart on those TWO joints.

Last edited:
yes, as far as putting all the sides loads on joints where they don't belong (c-bushings, and heims) I don't like it. I do remember reading it did well, but maybe I'm wrong It is weird that it is still shown on the main page of www.campbellent.com if it drove like crap.

WA-HCXJ said:
i asked that same question on pirate, and the owner and driver respoded saying this thing drove like crap, he said he no longer runs this setup.

EDIT-and it doesnt really make sense to me, its like half assing a dual triangulated 4 link with that setup, plus the whole vehicles weight and the axle location is only spread apart on those TWO joints.
I believe the issues were with the very low roll-center.

Why not add a Watt's link to the radius arms?

With the Watt's link you don't get the side "sweeping" motion you get with a panhard, and although a Watt's link isn't simple, it seems simpler than radius arms and a wishbone. I think if you go to the trouble of adding a wishbone, you might as well use conventional links and not radius arms.

Besides, you would probably be able to say no one has a set-up like yours!

Chris

Somewhat like Crash said, if you are going through all the effort of a custom linked suspension, a traditional 4 or 3 link w/ panhard will yeild better results with the same amount of effort. I seriously beileve people choose to go that route because they have to buy fewer joints. Two verus 6 or 8.

Back