• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch/taillights from newer XJ fit a '90?

irish44j

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering - will the rear hatch and taillights from a late 90s XJ fit my '90 without modification?

from 96 down should fit. 97 up is newer body style, won't fit.

What do you mean post-1997 lights won't fit???
IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

HaHaHa

It might not be a perfect fit (for pre-97 models) as far as screws/bolts go, but it will work with minor modifications at worst. More than likely it will be dead simple.

Kyle Horvath said:
It might not be a perfect fit (for pre-97 models) as far as screws/bolts go, but it will work with minor modifications at worst. More than likely it will be dead simple.
Haha that's a great picture. I have tried it though to my 1990 that's sitting gutless in my driveway. They actually changed the contour of the back end on later years, the taillights won't even sit flush against the body. Unfortunately as far as I could tell it would require extensive body work.

Well, the extensive body work is easy, just get rear-ended. That's why that light is on. PnP was closed, had spares sitting around.
But ya, get 96 or older lights for replacements.

Kyle Horvath said:
Well, the extensive body work is easy, just get rear-ended. That's why that light is on. PnP was closed, had spares sitting around.
But ya, get 96 or older lights for replacements.
Hey it looks better than using that red tape that a lot of people use when they get rear ended (I think anyway).

Not unless you know what you are doing in Body work. The hinges of all 96 and down for the rear gate are outside while the hinges are not on the outside on the 97 and up. As far as taillights bolt pattern is different.

ah, ok thanks guys.

Back