• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear coil conversion??

:clap:
Fawk lower control arms hanging below the framerails.

Actually fawk links on a full body rig. What a pain in the ass.

Where the fawk are you going to go with a ull body rig and links that you're not going to get with a $200 Aussie locker and leaf springs in the rear? Nowhere. Where you going? Fawking nowhere.

awesome.

Just link it and be done. you'll be glad you did.

mms_picture18.jpg

mms_picture19.jpg

Where the fawk are you going to go with a ull body rig and links that you're not going to get with a $200 Aussie locker and leaf springs in the rear? Nowhere. Where you going? Fawking nowhere.
But they are purty.

Yea, look into Deaver or Alcan springs and the HDOffroad shackle relocation. That's my plan. Eventually I'll do that and get some custom leafs made up a little longer to use the extra travel and level it out again.

Yeah, you're right. Because everybody with a rear four link wants to scrap it and go back to leafs.... what was i thinking. :doh:

Just drop a ton of coin on a set of leafs that will work "ok", and you'll probably still have some axle wrap, maybe some wheel hop too, but in the end you'll be happy you didnt spend the time to do it right.

I love Phil. (no homo)

Yeah, you're right. Because everybody with a rear four link wants to scrap it and go back to leafs.... what was i thinking. :doh:

Just drop a ton of coin on a set of leafs that will work "ok", and you'll probably still have some axle wrap, maybe some wheel hop too, but in the end you'll be happy you didnt spend the time to do it right.

spend a ton of cash doing links, end up with crap under the frame rails to grab rocks, and feel better about life because you've got links in the rear.

Or build a simple Okie Terry style slip and twist traction bar, relocate the shackles and have a Jeep like BrianHO's that goes anywhere the linked rigs do for a whole lot less money and re-engineering.

I'm currently redoing the entire suspension in the rear of my junk. I've got NOTHING under the bed, I could build links way easier than any of the XJ owners.

It's getting leaf springs, outboarded on my frame. Simple is better.

Your perogative, but for what the OP asked, leaf springs are the better choice for him.

I want more flex because before my front is flexed out a back tire will lift. I don't know if there's any other way to solve this. If there is im open for any options.

I threw these together when one of my shackle boxes collapsed.
cost me like $4 and an hour of my time

165771_510532329224_226300669_241395_5780592_n.jpg

i'm more than happy with it. I have noticed 2 slight downsides to them, but neither are a big deal to me

1: I can no longer ken block my jeep around on pavement due to added body roll. Stiffer springs should help a little and are in my future.

2: they hang down a little lower, but dragging leaf springs never killed anybody.

76542_509871313904_226300669_234052_2092583_n.jpg

spend a ton of cash doing links

end up with crap under the frame rails to grab rocks

and feel better about life because you've got links in the rear.

Your perogative, but for what the OP asked, leaf springs are the better choice for him.

I'm into my link setup maybe 200.00.

they're 1/2" wall so who cares if they're draggin'...

Yes I do. :D

Did you read the entire thread, his first question was how to do links, not which is better.

end up with crap under the frame rails to grab rocks,

i would absolutely hate that in the back.

on a front suspension with the lower arms mounted that way isnt as big of a deal as it won't kill your forward momentum because you slide off them as opposed to into them.

i'd mount em higher up and do a little floor modification if i were to throw links back there. theres plenty of room.

i'd mount em higher up and do a little floor modification if i were to throw links back there. theres plenty of room.

Good point, and I would have if i wasn't set on keeping my back seat and floor intact as much as possible. The family is with me quite a bit on the trails. I even went to the trouble of moving the gas tank back, instead of up through the floor to keep my rear cargo area.

But honestly, we don't to a ton of rock garden style wheeling, but even the ones i have done i cant say i've had problems hanging up on the rear links at all.

Back