• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper

I've seen that bumper before. It is a great looking bumper with a few perks that the other carriers don't offer (doesn't block tail lights). My jeep is more of an offroad deal and the Rigidco fits my needs perfect. Without having seen that bumper in person or seeing the way it mounts, my recommendation to the OP is still +1 for Rigid. That said, I never really liked the carrier by Rigidco but I'm not a big fan of carriers to begin with.

When making my decision, my choices were
1. Rigid
2. AJs Tanker
3. there wasn't really a number three but that Detours or Hanson might have been it.

I got front and rear bumpers from Nate. Plain with reciever 3/16" for <$400 to my door. Happy with the purchase.

DSC01473.JPG

Note the lights are unobstructed and you might even be abble to keep your license plate in the same spot, or with just minor modification.

You can just move the plate over and re-use two of the holes. Pop out the left side anchors, slide the plate over and bolt the left side into what used to be the right side anchors, mark and drill two new holes (square ones), pop the old anchors into the new holes, and bolt down the right side of the plate. The plate still fits nicely within the rectangular depression in the liftgate and the stock light still lights it up pretty well. I covered my two old anchor holes with a couple adhesive reflectors to keep the rain out.

HalfRear.jpg

And just cause I haven't said it yet in this thread, I really don't care for bolt-on endcaps. The Detours endcaps are incorporated into the bumper for a nice clean look and he will cut them to fit any flares (or lack there of) that you may have.

CornerDetail.jpg

Stay away from Nates4x4.com. hes cheaper and his products are of decent quality, but he is very slow, and he rarely answers the phone or answers emails. Iv been waiting 20+ weeks for my order to be completed. on the rare occasion he does reply to my emails, he just keeps giving me excuses.

spend alittle more money and get a better product in a reasonable amount of time. thats what I wish I did.

i got the standard rear bumper from nates4x4 and i love it. it took about a month to get it. i ended up getting the front winch bumper to and it took the same amount of time to get it. they didnt send me the bolts for the front so i emailed and they were sent out with in a week.

i got the standard rear bumper from nates4x4 and i love it. it took about a month to get it. i ended up getting the front winch bumper to and it took the same amount of time to get it. they didnt send me the bolts for the front so i emailed and they were sent out with in a week.

I've sent him about 25 emails to all 3 of his email address' and he rarely answers. when he does he apologizes and says hell send them out tomorrow. he said hed send them out tomorrow 3 or four times! the last time he assured me that they were in a box and ups was scheduled to pick them up tomorrow, that was two or 3 weeks ago. I had a feeling he was full of it because my bumper came fed-ex, and I figure a business would have a contract or something with one company.

and I have always been very polite in my emails, its not like im some raging A-hole and he got mad a decided not to ship them.

as far as Rigid, I cant find there rear bumpers on their website? It says its under the "soon to be finished" which was back in 2004. anyone able to help with that? or if anything, how much is the rigid rear bumper?

I just got a Stage 3 JCR, I really like it.

P2220055.jpg

as far as Rigid, I cant find there rear bumpers on their website? It says its under the "soon to be finished" which was back in 2004. anyone able to help with that? or if anything, how much is the rigid rear bumper?

Post # 8.

Just call Terry and tell him what you want. He requires a $100 deposit and the rest when the bumper is ready to ship.

I just got a Stage 3 JCR, I really like it.

P2220055.jpg
Fail. That carrier design leaves you hardly any visible reverse lights & no rear view once you hang a big tire. Very poor design IMO. I never understood the fascination everyone has with JCR stuff anyway, but then I like for my stuff to be pretty as well as functional. Call me picky.

Fail. That carrier design leaves you hardly any visible reverse lights & no rear view once you hang a big tire. Very poor design IMO. I never understood the fascination everyone has with JCR stuff anyway, but then I like for my stuff to be pretty as well as functional. Call me picky.

Fail? Just because you don't like it doesn't make it fail. I agree on the revese light issue and I'm working on solving that. Name a rear mount carrier that doesnt ruin your rear view with a very large tire.

I went back and fourth between Aj's, Rigidco's and Detour's but in the end I went with Rigids. Couple of reasons:

1. Main bumper is the same regardless.
2. You can modify the main bumper with lights and tie ins and still not affect future upgrades
3. His end cap design allows you to convert to single swing arm, dual swing arm or high rise rear quarter panel single or dual swing arm at a later date.
4. I believe his all in all is the most cost effective in regard to options and expandability.

rigidreardriver.jpg

I went back and fourth between Aj's, Rigidco's and Detour's but in the end I went with Rigids. Couple of reasons:
1. Main bumper is the same regardless.
2. You can modify the main bumper with lights and tie ins and still not affect future upgrades
3. His end cap design allows you to convert to single swing arm, dual swing arm or high rise rear quarter panel single or dual swing arm at a later date.
4. I believe his all in all is the most cost effective in regard to options and expandability.

The only pics I've seen of a dual swing arm carrier required a modified center section. Have you seen otherwise? I have the basic rear and would like to get the spare carrier sooner than later... mostly to avoid missing out in the event Terry decides to call it quits.

The only pics I've seen of a dual swing arm carrier required a modified center section. Have you seen otherwise? I have the basic rear and would like to get the spare carrier sooner than later... mostly to avoid missing out in the event Terry decides to call it quits.

AJ will do a dual swing arm, no problem...

I'll tell you what, I just recieved the Rigidco Rmb today and this thing is sweeeeet! Solid mounting system (blows Detours out of the water)

Like to know what your comparison thoughts are since you dont own one, we've
run them on multible vehicals and have put our vehicals in compromising mid air recovery
situations with no failure, other than nearly blown transmissions after the fact, situations which put an XJ air-born between 2~ F250's, one in a sink hole.

I dont mind the Hanson comparison, nice stuff!!

Like to know what your comparison thoughts are since you dont own one, we've
run them on multible vehicals and have put our vehicals in compromising mid air recovery
situations with no failure, other than nearly blown transmissions after the fact, situations which put an XJ air-born between 2~ F250's, one in a sink hole.

I dont mind the Hanson comparison, nice stuff!!

Just the fact that your bumper ties into the cross member only. It doesn't seem to extend beyond that point. Rigidco's ties in all the way back utilizing a good foot of the rear "frame" rails.

That's pretty cool you guys do that testing and that's one solid bumper to hold up to that. Terry did the same thing with his, pulling another xj up a tree. His bumpers are now being mounted on comps.

Not trying to make your product look bad. IMO it is a GREAT product with a mounting system second only to Rigidco. As you said, I've only seen the pictures posted on JF so I have no real world experience.

Fail? Just because you don't like it doesn't make it fail. I agree on the revese light issue and I'm working on solving that. Name a rear mount carrier that doesnt ruin your rear view with a very large tire.
Yes "fail", IMO. Now I'm not trying to criticize the strength of the product or its suitability for the "job". It might be the toughest bumper in the world. I'm simply commenting on what I see. I select a bumper for strength, utility, compatibility and Yes, aesthetics.
Now, try passing State inspection in NJ with that design. As far as the appearance of that bumper, it's butt ugly ... doesn't look as if any effort has been made to even try to reconcile a slab of steel with the Jeep's body lines. And the tire is mounted dead center (as are most) therefore effectively blocking rear view even while using a smaller tire like the pic shows. Obviously diminished visibility is expected with a larger tire, no matter the carrier design. Therefore, I stand by my original conclusion: it fails. Don't take it personally. Besides, you spent your money & you're satisfied with your purchase. That should be more important to you than my opinion.

I know what you are talking about with the modified center section. I had a picture of the dual swing arm without a special modded section. It was more or less a "bolt on catch" that allowed the arms to be secured. Basically like the claspe catch the single arm has but it was made for two and was centered in the middle. Can't seem to find the damn thing. If I do, I will post it up.

Just the fact that your bumper ties into the cross member only. It doesn't seem to extend beyond that point. Rigidco's ties in all the way back utilizing a good foot of the rear "frame" rails.

Not trying to make your product look bad. IMO it is a GREAT product with a mounting system second only to Rigidco. As you said, I've only seen the pictures posted on JF so I have no real world experience.

You shouldn't say a product has been "blown out of the water" by another unless you have some "real world experience" with both of them. The Detours design does in fact tie into the "frame rails", it just does so from the inside of the rail. The brackets replace part of the nut strip. (Hope I'm not giving away trade secrets Mark, just trying to prevent misinformation regarding your product.) No ugly brackets hanging off the bottom of the bumper, no interference with skid plates or hitches.

Last edited:
Back