• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle Problem and I think the Dealer is trying to scam me

I'm picking it up tonight after work so I'll know more about the "reduced vibration" then. I also hope they did it right, but if they didn't...I certainly will get it re-done or not pay for their work. I've noticed that service writers aren't very good at explaining noises or vibration symptoms so I'm hopeful that the tech at least knows what he's doing.

it sounds like they only replaced the carrier bearings. if there is still noise its probably in the pinion bearings. they should have replaced them while they were in the diff. if it stil makes noise, they may have to be replaced also and some of the labor you paid for will have to be redone to fix that.

I agree. It sounds as though they only replaced the carrier bearings. When a bearing starts to make noise then it has started to shave metal off of itself. When this happens the metal gets into other bearings and starts to wear on them too. Sounds like they just looked for bearings with pits in them and replaced just those. Just because they couldn't see pitting by the naked eye, doesn't mean there isn't slight pitting on the others. Those bearings are spinning pretty fast and it doesn't take much for them to be noisey. Any time a bearing is making noise, all the bearings in that unit should be replaced at the same time.

Hi,

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread. I have a '96 XJ with 131K miles that has a whinning noise comming from the back of the jeep everytime I take the foot off the accelerator. I replaced the leaf springs with Crown heavy duty ones some time ago and the xj gain a couple of inches of lift, and now I get a growling noise when the jeep is coasting. Are these symptoms of bad u-joints.

Mike

I had an old 65 Chevy Nova that made this noise, I had to replace the ring & pinion.

Back