• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle not spinning sometimes? np242 with d35 LSD

Was the diff yoke spinning or was just the front half of the DS spinning? could be the DS splines are stripped at just the ends and not engaging when the rearend drops which explains why it re- engaged on level ground.

I like this one.

If the DS is spinning, the 242 is sending some power to it and WILL spin the wheels if all is well. If the wheels are not spinning, the yolk is stripped, splines are stripped like Offrroadordnance says, a broken axle shaft, splines stripped on the side gears or axle shaft end, axle shaft end sheared off. I would assume there would be a lot of noise if any of this was happening also the LS wouldn't keep it driving on 1 axle.

From what you are saying the 242 is working, it's something from the DS back.

we all saw the rear DS was spinning and neither rear tire where spinning. it was weird. If no one has ever seen this before, then my guess is the 242 is acting up, not the rear end
How many times does it have to be said? Flyfisher is right. Driveshaft spinning, no axles spinning, there is something fubar in the diff.

Driveshaft spinning, no axles spinning, there is something fubar in the diff.

I was just hoping to hear something like ya, technically the 242 can sometimes only send torque to just the front or just the rear and thats normal for 242, dont waste your time pulling the case yada yada yada, and he never wheels it in full time only part time. my guess now is that something is fubar in the 242, i was really hoping someone had a good idea of what it was.

Yeah, that's called fulltime 4x4 setting on the NP242. Again, it's been said several times in this thread.

1. the shift linkage could be misadjusted. Maybe he's in fulltime when meaning to be in part time. Not sure this could happen.
2. he could be in full time and thinking that means full 4x4. I don't know why people get them confused, but I've had to explain it multiple times to several people.
3. shift forks in the tcase could be worn, resulting in it being in fulltime instead of part time.

NONE OF THOSE change the fact that if the driveshaft spins, and neither axleshaft spins, you have a friggin diff problem!

i have a 242 and my understanding is that it is positively connected to the rear output shaft, whereas the front shaft can be disconnected =2wd, or connected full time=constant 4wd for ON road with centre diff unlocked, or part time 4wd for off road, loose surfaces where the centre diff is locked.

at no time can the rear DS be spinning without the rear wheel(s) be also spinning.

you can however put the stick in neutral and then you have no output at all

Ewenm...you are mostly correct. There is no direct connection to the rear output shaft. In Full-time 4X4 there is a differential in the transfer case that will allow the front and rear output shafts to turn at different speeds, or either one to turn without the other one turning. Just like an axle differential. In other words, in Full-time 4X4 is possible to have JUST the front output shaft (and therefore, the front drive shaft) turning, or JUST the rear turning. Really the easiest way to visualize how it works is to think of Full-time as acting like an open differential is in the transfer case.

Back