• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear axle not spinning sometimes? np242 with d35 LSD

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I am trying to help diagnose my cousins rig.

Its only happened twice so far .
when wheeling the rearend would stop spinning. the rear DS was seemingly spinning.

strapped him out, and the thing started working again.

Only has happened twice so far.

I have no idea what this could be. can the 242 be slipping like this and still turn the rear DS? or would the LSD going out make the rear make this happen?
im stumped

looking for ideas.

pop the cover, make sure it still has all its teeth
make sure the spiders are in good shape

if anything is bad, do not pass go, spend $200 and head directly to your local jy for a decent axle

we already popped the cover everything looks golden thats the first thing we did. the spiders and gears looked great. he drives it to work everyday.

He has a d44 i sold him with mark williams chromos, a HD cover with bearing cap load bolts, 4.10s, an ARB air locker, and disc conversion.

the issue is, he doesnt have the cash to buy an arb and 4.10s for the front right now , so we need this 35 to last a little longer , maybe until the beginning of summer. its been a year since its done it. thing is fine in 2wd. there was no metal at all in the diff, whatsoever.

could the LSD make both tires slip at the same time if the clutch packs where toast?

it shouldn't

the clutch packs are there to preload the spiders to transfer.torque between them.

weird man, just weird

How can you be sure the rear shaft is spinning? If he is in full time when this happens it is possible that all the torque is being sent to the front if it has less traction. Just like an open diff spinning only one tire

we were on snake lake trail up by gold lake. he was on snake lake hill and suddenly the rear stopped spinning but we had me and another dude laying down on our sides and watching the rear shaft spinning with no tires spinning. we figured he blew up the rear end. so we strapped him up out of it, and started to realize we were gonna have to limp it to camp. then he started driving just fine. never seen anything like it before.

just had one front tire spinning and that was it.

I guess it sounds like the tcase huh?
sounds like we will pull the case soon and seeing whats up. Ill try to find him a 231 this time around.
i am thinking the center diff in the 242 was acting weird.

of course, I am urging him to go 4.10 front open, not do the ARB right away, swap the rear and wheel it a bunch more and see if it happens again.

it shouldn't

the clutch packs are there to preload the spiders to transfer.torque between them.

weird man, just weird

I meant if the LSD clutch packs where toast , but i guess in that case it would just act open.

saw this thread about the 242 :

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=954142

So i guess that if one driveshaft is disconnected it will just spin, which is weird since only the front was spinning. I dunno like maybe he had in full time ?

it was a crazy loose, very steep rocky trail, he was stuck in a spot that was extremly loose and steep. the guy in front with a 231 and 33s , LSD rear walked right up with his front ARB unlocked.

Is it possible that the splines on the pinion are stripped?

Unless I'm reading wrong, are you saying he's running 4.10s in the rear and stock gears up front?

No he is running a dana 35 in the rear, stock 3.55s.

He has a 4.10 d44/ARB etc rear waiting to go in. he just cant afford to build his 30 with 4.10s/ARB right now so we are trying to figure out whats going on in the meantime. Although, i keep telling him to suck it up, swap in the new rear axle, and pay for the front to get done to see if that fixes it.

Unless the rear axle pinon is stripped, or the rear axle gears are toast, it's just not possible for the rear drive shaft to be spinning without at least one tire spinning.

It IS possible for only one front, or one rear wheel to spin if the 242 is in 4-high-full-time, but not while it's in 4-part time or 4-low. A "crazy loose steep climb" is NOT when you want to run full-time 4-wheel.

I think most of us are confused as you said the rear ds was spinning but no rear tire was spinning...and that the rear axle gears are all good.

I still think he had it in full time and the front had less traction so a the power went out the front driveshaft. Full time 4wd = open diff inside t-case. Totally normal. Like you said, if a driveshaft is removed you will not move in full time.

I think most of us are confused as you said the rear ds was spinning but no rear tire was spinning...and that the rear axle gears are all good.

Yah thats exactly what Im saying. It was odd.

Ive wheeled alot in the last 12 years, and alot of different rigs, but never with a 242 and ive never seen anything like it before. I mean he still drives it work everyday. Ive pulled the rear cover off like 2 times since. Everything looks fine in the rear end.

so the center diff thing could be it. Ill need to ask him if he has been running it in full or part time since ive never ran a 242 and never knew to check that and I wouldnt be surprised if that was the case.

Again....rear drive shaft spinning without any rear tires spinning has NOTHING to do with the transfer case. If the rear ds is spinning, then tc is working fine. If rear ds is spinning but no rear tires are spinning, something is wrong with the rear end (axle). Period!

is it fine in 2wd? are you sure that it aint a open diff being a open diff, or the op could just be trolling

im just trying to figure out where to start on my cousins rig. Yes it was weird. yes ive been wheeling for the last 12 years and never seen anything like. we had like me and 2 other naxja memberss there and we all saw it, strapped the jeep out and where ready to pull the rear end, and then it just started working. we all saw the rear DS was spinning and neither rear tire where spinning. it was weird. If no one has ever seen this before, then my guess is the 242 is acting up, not the rear end, and ill just plan on pulling the 242 and seeing what is going on inside. I was just hoping to hear something like ya, technically the 242 can sometimes only send torque to just the front or just the rear and thats normal for 242, dont waste your time pulling the case yada yada yada, and he never wheels it in full time only part time. my guess now is that something is fubar in the 242, i was really hoping someone had a good idea of what it was.

trolling? hardly, ive been on naxja for years and im an extremely active member in the sierra chapter dude. ive built up a 8 or 9 XJs in the last 8 years and never once had a 242, and ive never seen anything like it. I also wheeled a few scouts (800a and a II), a 90 pathfinder, a 86 4runner all built up, and a 59 cj5. never seen anything like it. I guess no one else has either.

No i didnt take it to a shop and watch a real mechanic do stupid shit on my o2 sensor, I am no bimmerjeeper. I do all of my own work and own a ton of tools. ive never had an issue with a blanket in the rear hatch.

I wish I was full of BS, just never seen anything like it and I dont know jack about the 242s, i was thinking maybe the center diff was gonig fubar or something.

if we dont figure it out before the next time he actually wheels it(June?) ill try to get some video of the 1 wheel drive situation.

Last edited:
I think the answer is YES the 242 can send torque to the front only, but that if the rear driveshaft was spinning with no rear wheel action, there is a problem in the D35

Last edited:
Was the diff yoke spinning or was just the front half of the DS spinning? could be the DS splines are stripped at just the ends and not engaging when the rearend drops which explains why it re- engaged on level ground.

my guess is that he SAYS its in 4hi part time but its possible that the linkage may be out of whack keeping him in full time. unless this is happening in 4lo. then theres a problem. i would just ensure this is in fact happening in part time before you go tearing into stuff for no reason. aside from the full time feature, the 242 is no different than the 231. they can be finnicky to shift though from time to time

Back