• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Armor

Those with the THOR guards, do any of you have highly trimmed fenders?

My 2 door has a bit of the fenders trimmed off, and was wondering how hard it would be to adjust the opening.

They should "adjust" just fine..........with a plasma cutter, saw, cut-off wheel, etc.

Starboard M said:

My 2 door has a bit of the fenders trimmed off, and was wondering how hard it would be to adjust the opening.

With a little fab work it should work just fine. I have some trimming done back there and could have done more.

northwestxj said:
i agree with uncc...a very good piece that has taken some pretty hard hits on mine as well...

I did this to mine in Moab after some brake problems. Totaled the Jeep and dented the taillight portion of the driver side panel. Took it off and introduced a bfh to it and all is well. The impact was approximately 25-30mph. Now I just need to put them on the new jeep.

100_0860.jpg

Wow! Moab is not the place to have brake problems! That Sucks. What trail was it?

Wounded XJ said:
I did this to mine in Moab after some brake problems. Totaled the Jeep and dented the taillight portion of the driver side panel. Took it off and introduced a bfh to it and all is well. The impact was approximately 25-30mph. Now I just need to put them on the new jeep.

100_0860.jpg

Starboard M said:

My fenders are trimmed a pretty good amount. No flares and trimmed using the "cut and fold" method as to not cut past the spot welds. They are trimmed up to the small half inch "lip"...hopefully that makes sense. If you dont have rear flares on you will see a small lip that sticks out from the body...the thor guards mount above that lip. Still room for a pretty good amount of trimming, but if you did want more it would be pretty easy to trim the guards with a cutoff wheel, etc. as previously mentioned. I could take a picture of mine later if needed...

jrowell said:
Wow! Moab is not the place to have brake problems! That Sucks. What trail was it?

It was in the wash section of Golden Spike. It gave me some pucker factor for sure. The impact wrinkled the frame in two spots.

Wounded XJ said:
You have to send a PM to T&AXJ or Avanteone. They got back to me in a day or two when I bought mine.

I want to say we have 3 pairs in stock. Avanteone(John) is the one who sells them. Give him a call. 253.939.5019, or look here for more info. http://naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=243358705&postcount=3

A phone call is always better than a PM, much quicker.

bcmaxx said:
plastic: http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/poly1IMG_0013.jpg
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee110/bcmaxx/6.jpg
somewhat ghetto but it cost me $100 and a few hours with the old rivet gun. I've run some big branches and logs down the side, some rock rails are in order though.

I like this idea. If you could add to it some taillight boxes that would ge perfect.

What about tying this into the rear bumper? Do you think that it would add any benefit. As long as the bumper was mounted properly I dont see any side efects.

also how do you guys seal the holes where you bolt or rivet the armor on?? In ND we can have rust and lots of snow means water leaking in.

I applied sealant to every rivet during install, sealed the outer perimeter of every panel, pulled inner panels and coated the hell out of the inner body panels with rust check. it drips rust check on hot days, but better than rust, and finally hor the holes in the middle of the rivets: I got a syringe from the dentist the kind that accepts different tips that screw in , filled it with clear silicone and sqeezed some in every rivet hole, oh and 1/4inch hockey board

Back