• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reaming the knuckles

Peacefrog53

NAXJA Forum User
How do I go about this? I need to reqam out the knukles to fit the big ass TRE's on my steering. Can I buy a reamer?? or should I take it to a shop?

reamers are ridiculously expensive for one time use, I would just take them to a machine shop along with the TRE you plan to use and let them get it done

$75 to be able to ream a knuckle at any time, without depending on others.... seems like a deal to me... i cant imagine it ever really being 'just one knuckle'

I built a jig out of lumber to ream them in a drill press... time well spent.

Will do. I'll change the ball joints while i'm at it. Thanks man.

If you do take it to a shop, post up how much it cost because Im adding up the cost.

$75 to be able to ream a knuckle at any time, without depending on others.... seems like a deal to me... i cant imagine it ever really being 'just one knuckle'

I built a jig out of lumber to ream them in a drill press... time well spent.

Do you have any pics?

E

No companies sell tapered inserts that accept 1 ton tre's. all you drill is drill your knuckle with a 5/8 drill bit and pop the isert in. You can weld it for extra insurance if you'd like. I believe ruffstuff and serious off road sell them.

personally I would ream the knuckle if you haven't drilled it out already. and especially at the pitman arm.

I'm going to ream them. I might just take them in. But idk.

what you will spend in time pulling the knuckles and the cost at the machine shop almost makes just buying a reamer worth it.

plus then you can loan it to your buddies.

just my .02.... although if you want to replace your balljoints then its a wash.

Reamers aren't that bad they are expensive but not for a multiple use tool. But make sure you drill straight and use cutting oil. You can easily XXXX it up by usingit improperly.

Back