• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reaming 101

lowrange2 said:
how slow is slow? Is gunna take way more than .003. The largest diameter of the TRE shank is .755 and the smallest is .688. So that means that I would have to remove .0335" of material.

Also this is the Snap-On Repairmans Reamer Stock No. R121 States: USed for enlarging holes from .5" to 1" - For use in any material. Not that that means anything but I thought maybe it was meant to move more metal.

I chucked an R121 up in a cordless drill, and went to town on my pitman arm, while keeping it lubed with a can of WD-40. I know it wasn't the right way to do it, but it worked and only took about 10 minutes of short slow bursts with the reamer.

I also used the same method on a set of D44 knuckles.

lowrange2 said:
I have a 500rpm setting on my drill press. It should work ok. I gotta pick up a drill bit tomorrow.
Thats way to fast,look at around 60rpm as a good low speed settng!

RCP Phx said:
Thats way to fast,look at around 60rpm as a good low speed settng!

I use about 120 - 140 RPM with our spiral Goodson reamer. The knuckles go to 5/8" and the pitman arm goes to 11/16. I probably have 150 reams on this reamer with that method, and it's just about time to replace it.

I am a tool and die maker and agree on the slow is better, but I learned a quick and dirty method several years ago that works great for me. It is a variation of some special tooling used on large CNC machines

I use a very thick high sulphur cutting oil, but the secret is that I use a 3/8" cheap impact wrench on low. In effect it cuts a short distance and stops for an instant. I have reamed probably 20 knuckles and pitman arms for 1 tons in the last couple of years and my reamer is still sharp. It cuts really fast, but doesn't heat up.

For a simple tapered hole, the finish turns out fine.

5-90 said:
keep it well lubricated (if you can manage nearly constant flow of light oil, you're OK...)
I use a product that is common in the aviation industry called "Boelube" it is made by the Boeing company and is the best drilling and cutting lube I have ever used. Your bits will cut much better and last much longer. Do a google search and you will find a bunch of distributors for it.

Back