• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really strong fuel smell

The only way the new rail will fix the issue, is if your fuel rail is leaking. Is it? Here are pics of a fuel rail from an 2000.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/Image016-1.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/Image015.jpg

Is that pic you found on CF from an XJ? I wouldn't assume your Jeep had the wrong parts simply because you found a different part used on a different year.

You said the smell is strongest is at the driver's side rear, and you have a code for the emissions system. IMO, you should start with the system generating the code.

edit- okay, looking at your injectors and fuel rail, I would replace them regardless, but you still need to check the emissions stuff.

Last edited:
THe top one is one I shot of my rusty one and the one I grabbed off a 97.

The bottom I believe is off a WJ but with a 4.0.

, you should start with the system generating the code.

That's why I had the fuel system smoked. A Mopar tech (not that they are always right) suggested it had more to do with the injectors and rail then then rear of the system since no smoke poured out anywhere. Worst case if I still have still have smell then I still got a new rail and better injectors for $85.... haha

I bet you're still going to have the smell. The injectors and rail aren't part of the evap system. What did the tech say about the code for the Leak Detection Pump?

He said I just took your $85 and I can tell you what your issue is after 2 hrs. Can't lie it was pure defeat taking to a dealer, but my family rides in the xj sometimes ad I cant have them smelling fumes . I was super pissed when they said sorry no real conclusion....

He said I just took your $85 and I can tell you what your issue is after 2 hrs. Can't lie it was pure defeat taking to a dealer, but my family rides in the xj sometimes ad I cant have them smelling fumes . I was super pissed when they said sorry no real conclusion....

That stinks!

I don't want to call it final just yet, but I just drove 35 miles to work and no smell with that non damper rail and 784 injectors installed. :) let's hope it stays that way.... thanks for all resposes

Have you resolved/cleared all the codes?

Not yet, can the cheap ones at Autozone clear? I am pretty sure I still need O2s, b/c now the fuel smell is not in the cab, but actually smells really rich around the tailpipe..

I get the strong fuel smell in the cabin on my 2000 from time to time. When it first happened to me I went and had the Jeep scanned at Autozone and a laundry list of codes showed up. I checked all the lines and have found no visible leaks. It ended up being a loose gas cap. No issues since.

You might have trouble getting the employees to clear the codes with a scanner, but some will do it, or look the other way while you do. If not, you don't need a scanner to reset the PCM.

Info from a JEEP Technician -

This very simple procedure will Erase the “Adaptive Memory” stored inside the PCM and allow a new “Adaptive Memory” to be developed.

After performing this procedure the PCM will re-learn and store into Adaptive Memory your engines performance characteristics.

Please perform these steps exactly as they are written, in the order they are written. This will cause the adaptive memory in the PCM to be erased and cause the PCM to go into Fast Learn Mode adaptive mode.

Disconnect the POSITIVE battery Terminal and touch it to ground ( not the battery negative terminal ) for 30 seconds. The engine block or the A/C compressor pump will work as a ground. (This is to discharge the PCM capacitors, which maintain the Adaptive Memory.

Reconnect the Battery Cable
Turn Ignition Switch to the “On” position but DO NOT start the engine
Turn Headlight “On”
Turn Headlights “Off”
Turn Ignition Key “Off”

The PCM Adaptive memory has now been flashed, or erased from the PCM.

When you start the engine it will be running off a set of pre-programmed tables that come with the PCM from the factory.

When you get the engine up to operating temperature the PCM will start to collect data for the “Adaptive Memory”.

The PCM will collect data for Adaptive Memory for the first 50 Warm-up Cycles.

I actually did this procedure right after the injector install as they were an upgrade over oem . If my check engine light was still on right away could that mean it didn't work properly ?

Back