• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Really budget stroker

gradon, your are correct it is 6.123, I fat fingered it :D

BlueCuda, interesting thought about the 340 rods.

I thing with the Eagle rods (6.150") you could go with the KB 10.1 pistons and not ping.
Do to the almost perfect Quench.

Flash.

Flash said:
I Know that you are looking for the stroker on the cheep, but KB just released there stroker piston based off from the 258/4.0 stroker in a 9.1 or a 10.1 NOT CHEAP but improve the quench as well as lowering the compression ratio (9.1 of course)

Been a lot of discussion on it over at Jeepstroker.

O and by the way Standard piston are getting harder and harder to find (availability) these days.

If you go with the stock piston, hone job and 258 crank.......go with the Stock Renix cam. WIll Lower the DCR a lot as it has a late IVC(Intake Valve Close) that help waste a way the hi compression ratio. like the crane cam does...........with out the fear of cam failure, changing springs, push rod ext..........

Flash

I don't want low CR, I prefer high CR the that's not really and issue and I don't mind burning premium. This is in a buggy, so only offroad use, no street driving and limited use. I already have stock pistons, since they're in it, just wondering the likelyhood of successfilly increasing the stroke with the same cylinder walls and pistons.

I have an HO motor, just Renix engine control, so don't have a stock Renix cam. If I'm going to change cams, I'd want something higher performance. I have that popular Crane cam in my XJ's stroker with the MP valve springs, and am real happy with it, no problems yet. Wondering what springs might be needed with the Comp cam.

As long as your willing to except, that there is a possibility, that you my have to run a little bit more then 91 in the tank..........to stay out of the ping/knock in hot weather.........the "cheap stroker" would work for you just fine.;)

Not to send your thread off in the wrong direction.......... Again, But how many mile have you got on you Crane cam/ Stroker?

Flash

Wondering what springs might be needed with the Comp cam.
============================================
At what max RPM do you wish to push? That will be the big factor in picking springs.
Are you thinking about spring binding? I don't see that happening myself with cams of this class and stock rocker ratio.
Ramp speed and lift of this cam are both somewhat mild . Keep the RPM within the intended use of said cam (or anywhere close to it) and any of the springs listed here will do nicely.
Or ask the man that makes the cam you would be surprised on how much they know about the stuff that works with there cams. :)
That's if your lucky and talk to someone that understands English.:)

Last edited:
E85 will always get less mpg the gas.
But if you are going to run E85 all the time, then compression is you friend. Try to get it up to at least 10.5 TO 11.1 BUT DON'T EXPECT IT TO RUN ON GAS!

Flash

badron said:
Wondering what springs might be needed with the Comp cam.
============================================
At what max RPM do you wish to push? That will be the big factor in picking springs.
Are you thinking about spring binding? I don't see that happening myself with cams of this class and stock rocker ratio.
Ramp speed and lift of this cam are both somewhat mild . Keep the RPM within the intended use of said cam (or anywhere close to it) and any of the springs listed here will do nicely.
Or ask the man that makes the cam you would be surprised on how much they know about the stuff that works with there cams. :)
That's if your lucky and talk to someone that understands English.:)

5000? 5500? 5750?

This is a competition rig. It won't be sitting at 5000 all the time or all day long, but at least once a year the tach will spin to the red marks pretty regularly for a 4-5 hour period.

Unfortunatly, its also a budget rig. The funds just arent there to go 'all out'. Keeping the competition in mind (KOH) - thats probably ok.

Last year a leaf sprung F-Toy with a 22RE took 4th (and beat Goatman).

My XJ stroker is about 5 years old, but it's not a daily driver, and the last few years it's been trailered to all the runs, though it can see plenty of miles on various trips. It gets driven to work and around town some, but not all that many miles overall. I haven't followed what problems folks have been having with the Crane cam, what is it?

At the time, I was told not to use the stock springs with this cam unless the spring seats in the head were machined down slightly, but the Mopar Performance springs were fine.

As far as rpm, it's an automatic, so it will rarely see more than 4500 rpm. But, if I'm in low range and at top speed while racing, or bounce it off the rev limiter on a bad ass climb or in the dunes, it needs to hold up. Won't happen often, or at all, but it needs to be able to handle it.

Goatman said:
My XJ stroker is about 5 years old, but it's not a daily driver, and the last few years it's been trailered to all the runs, though it can see plenty of miles on various trips. It gets driven to work and around town some, but not all that many miles overall. I haven't followed what problems folks have been having with the Crane cam, what is it?
Hmm well thats a loaded question, But here is my opinion.
the failure is either the cam or the lifter that gos soft and eats its self up!!!!!!!!
What cause the failure is the new oil recipe thats bad for flat tappet cams, AND the poor quality control on some lifters and even possible the cams,....and the after market narrower lobe then the factory used.............and spring pressure.........the more you got the shorter it life will be.
Cam savers lifter, GM's M.O.A thats my recamendation for life.
O and its not just crane that has had these kind of failures.

At the time, I was told not to use the stock springs with this cam unless the spring seats in the head were machined down slightly, but the Mopar Performance springs were fine.

As far as rpm, it's an automatic, so it will rarely see more than 4500 rpm. But, if I'm in low range and at top speed while racing, or bounce it off the rev limiter on a bad ass climb or in the dunes, it needs to hold up. Won't happen often, or at all, but it needs to be able to handle it.

trail rate this said:
There was a post on a thread here a while back that mentioned a high compression 4.0 XJ getting 27MPG on E85. They said something about a different cam and timing.

I thing that if the compression is high enough on E85, that efficiency would be too............27 sound quit amazing.

Flash

This is a competition rig. It won't be sitting at 5000 all the time or all day long, but at least once a year the tach will spin to the red marks pretty regularly for a 4-5 hour period.
=======================================================
5000 springs with stock valves if they will be fresh for the big race and you can change them soon after. Else 5500 or better. Sorry but after 4~5 hours of hitting 5 grand, all value springs are poop anyway and need replacing.
To my way of thinking it not how stiff a spring can I run but how light a spring can I get a way with. Softer springs CAN take stress off the rest of the valve system. Until the piston kisses the valve anyway. :)
DO NOT get the JAP lifters CC has been shipping lately. If the lifter box don't say. "Made in the good old U S of A"
They suck. (IMO)

A good bud is hard to find.
Even harder to lose.
Work safe.

Last edited:
Back