• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Trackbar too short

cablesmurf said:
XJ%20trackbar.JPG
Now all you need to do is put the stock pitman arm back on to correct the geometry!

RCP Phx said:
Now all you need to do is put the stock pitman arm back on to correct the geometry!
Or install a ZJ arm, which provides 1" more drop than the stock pitman arm.

RCP Phx said:

Wrong. Death wobbled like a mofo before. No issues now. Also..the TRE on the draglink no longer hits the disconnect (you can see the paint chipped where it was hitting).

Besides, I'm building a high steer setup in the summer anyways, so most of the stock junk will be gone.

Its no spacer or adapter; the upper half is just longer. I talked to Eric, their Cherokee tech person. I havent got any order confirmations or anything yet, so no part number, or even a gaurantee of one.

I just called and talked to Eric today at RE and I had him overnight ship me the 1" extended Coupler end for the RE HD trackbar that y'all are talking about. I don't remember the part number but when I get the part tomorrow I will post the RE part number (I bet ya it is just the end off of one of their adjustable control arms which is the same construction as the upper coupler on the HD trackbar I have but it is longer I believe). I have a 4.5 RE superflex but have added a bigger shackle in back, a 2" spacer up front, adjustable upper and lower control arms, sway bar relocation bracket>>>>>so I should have around 6-6.5 inches of lift when its all said and done. Right now with only about 1/2 inch of the coupler end threaded in the end of the trackbar I am still about 1.5 inches short (but that is with the jeep suspended on a full auto-body lift and the tires not touching the ground). If the longer coupler end will not solve the problem I am going to cut and weld a section into the trackbar to make it longer. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Dust

tarantula8 said:
I just called and talked to Eric today at RE and I had him overnight ship me the 1" extended Coupler end for the RE HD trackbar that y'all are talking about. I don't remember the part number but when I get the part tomorrow I will post the RE part number Dust

Did they charge you for the part?

tarantula8 said:
...(I bet ya it is just the end off of one of their adjustable control arms which is the same construction as the upper coupler on the HD trackbar I have but it is longer I believe)...
Dust

Perhaps the upper superflex control arms? Both the UCA and the trackbar use a small superflex joint... I didn't think about that.

are you saying the 1" adapter is for the 1660 only? the guy I talked to at RE was no help whatsoever. I'm gonna call again wednesday and ask for eric. if he's the expert you guys say he is I hope to get this straightened out.

wascobi said:
are you saying the 1" adapter is for the 1660 only? the guy I talked to at RE was no help whatsoever. I'm gonna call again wednesday and ask for eric. if he's the expert you guys say he is I hope to get this straightened out.

1660 only so far since it just extends the outer tubing, which I suspect can be done more safely than making an already skinny end longer...

Did anybody ever have any luck with RE regarding the 1" extension for the RE1660 trackbar? Just called them up, Eric was out today, and they're clueless. Anyways, has anyone ever got one and if so, do you have a part #?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Last I heard is that there's no such thing as an extension. I hope I'm wrong or at least I hope that RE looked into it and came up with some appropriate fix.

i have the same problem except im running an R.E. 3.5 sf kit. like, i can understand it being a problem for 5-6+ inches of lift but 3.5? or maybe ive done something horribly wrong.....

I guarentee you could have one fabbed by someone like PSC which has the rebuildable joint and just have them make a longer 'shaft' by about 1-1.5" fully threaded but I bet it will run close to $100 or so. As far as I knew RE only had the one lenght on their 1660 right? I don't have any issues with mine and I'm at 5+

GirlScout1 said:
I guarentee you could have one fabbed by someone like PSC which has the rebuildable joint and just have them make a longer 'shaft' by about 1-1.5" fully threaded but I bet it will run close to $100 or so. As far as I knew RE only had the one lenght on their 1660 right? I don't have any issues with mine and I'm at 5+

Well, I have the trackbar down to 32" which still isn't enough threads for my liking. Any other measurements out there?

so i called re today and talked to "mike" (eric wasnt in). he said for me to take pictures of the problem and send them in via email. i mentioned several times them fixing it and he seemed to be in agreeance. as far as buying the extension... why would you pay extra for an extension when the damned thing says 4-6 inch lift. kooky.

I think I can answer that to a point jkg. I think the overall feeling is who would of ever thought some guy in Kentuckey would ever be smarter than the engineer in California? Between the internet and other medias companyies have to be careful how they market. One flaw and it can spread like wild fire and even more so with 'custom shops' making products. Poor guy (or gal) on the other end of a customer service line starts getting lectured about how a track bar should be xxx long. We use to just read it in magazines and order through a shop. Now everyone is a mechanic and master fabricator.

GOOD NEWS!!! I finally got around to stopping by RE and asked them about an extension for the 1660 trackbar. Apparently, they knew exactly what I was talking about and said they had one in stock, so I got it. It is labeled as 1" longer and is a whole new housing & coupler (minus the joint - reuse your old one). I also had to purchase a joint tool that they sale to be able to swap my old joint over. Anyways, I was just happy as I really wasn't wanting to have to fab one up unless I really had to. Again, I don't know if this extra inch will help all of you out, but in my case it will.

The price was pretty reasonable, under $20 for the part and another for the tool. I'm sure it probably would have cost about $100 to have one fabbed up, unless you can weld your own.

For anyone interested, the part# on the invoice is RM30210 and it is labeled as SM S/F Housing&Coupler 1" Over.

Hopefully, this will help some of you guys out that were interested in this issue.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Back