• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Hac n Tap

Thanks - I'd wondered about that since I heard about the "idle in reverse" method.

Running the Jeep while cutting the output shaft is not prefered. RE looked at me like I was crazy when I mentioned this. Just get under the Jeep and cut it. If it's not perfect, no harm.
The Jeep Gods (errr, GoJeep, same thing right?) disagree, you get a perfect cut with the engine running and the tranny in reverse.

its the prefered way if you want a perfect cut and your skilled enough. a perfect cut is not needed though, nor does the tapped hole in the end of the output shaft need to be perfectly centered. just dont break the drill bit or tap in the output shaft.

also about the output seal, i will only leak about a pint and cause no damage. park down hill if your concerned.
Agreed. It's idling with an open shaft, you probably could run it like that for hours without fluid in the transfer case without causing any real damage. Not that you should, of course.

For the 95 and before Hack-n-Tap, don't most kits come with a tailcone replacement that puts a seal on the output shaft? I'd say just install that before cutting the shaft, problem solved. Even without, it'll only lose a little fluid in the few minutes it'll take to cut the shaft, just top it off again after you're done.

The Jeep Gods (errr, GoJeep, same thing right?) disagree, you get a perfect cut with the engine running and the tranny in reverse.

I've done two now and both were done this way. Start by taking a measurement before you start the Jeep and mark it with a sharpie. Then start the Jeep, put it in reverse, and hold the sharpie on the shaft to continue your mark all the way around. Then begin your cut with the angle grinder. Make sure you cut in 1-2 minute intervals and then allow a 5 minute cool down period. It will probably take you 3-4 cuts before you're through the shaft. The nice thing about it is when you're done, you will see exactly where the center of the shaft is as a pattern will develop when cutting.

Hardest part for me has always been the initial drilling after the shaft has been cut. RE advises you to start by drilling a pilot hole (3/8" IIRC) before moving up to the 21/64" size needed.

Back