• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radio fuse keeps blowing

2T2-Crash

NAXJA Forum User
My radio fuse keeps blowing as soon as the power is turned on. I've unplugged both the radio and the cigarette lighter and it still pops.

What else should I chase down that plugs into it?

I can't figure out how to edit the thread for some reason but I wanted to add my clock works and my door locks work but I did do the door lock fix/upgrade before

something is shorting to ground. I would check the constant +12v wire to the radio. But it's still popping with the radio out?

Last edited:
Year? I would trace the red power wire. May be a problem with the Ignition switch / wiring.

Is the AC blower working? The windshield wipers? Is the radio aftermarket?

Also this is the 15 amp fuse that's popping? If so diagrams I'm seeing show that off the radio fuse is the radio, the cigar lighter, the low washer fluid level switch, and interior vanity lamps. At least that's for the switched power to the radio.

Last edited:
Where is this radio fuse at? The OEM wiring on an 87 Renix has one main fuse in the box that powers the radio and blower and wipers and electric door locks and windows (if you have them). If it is an aftermarket radio fuse/wire then that wire is shorting to ground somewhere on its way to the radio.

Also this is the 15 amp fuse that's popping? If so diagrams I'm seeing show that off the radio fuse is the radio, the cigar lighter, the low washer fluid level switch, and interior vanity lamps. At least that's for the switched power to the radio.

The 87 renix fuse (and 85-89 that I know of for sure) is 25 amp and also powers the list of stuff I just listed.

No longer at work ill have to check again tomorrow but the radio fuse looks to be 15 amps and control those things

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are talking about the 87 fuse box, Renix, the fuse that runs the windshield wipers, cigarette lighter and AC Blower, and the turn signals, it is a 25 amp fuse, not a 15 amp fuse, and even the 25 amp fuse and the wires from the fuse box to the ignition switch, ignition switch guts and AC blower are undersized and known to melt and short at the ignition switch and the blower switch. They could be the real problem. But if the radio is dead and the AC blower works, something very odd is going on, did someone rewire the entire jeep?

If you are talking about the 87 fuse box, Renix, the fuse that runs the windshield wipers, cigarette lighter and AC Blower, and the turn signals, it is a 25 amp fuse, not a 15 amp fuse, and even the 25 amp fuse and the wires from the fuse box to the ignition switch, ignition switch guts and AC blower are undersized and known to melt and short at the ignition switch and the blower switch. They could be the real problem. But if the radio is dead and the AC blower works, something very odd is going on, did someone rewire the entire jeep?

I'll take a picture of it in the morning and post it if I cant find one online that is what I have. I know the Jeep blew a motor but to my knowledge it was never rewired. The XJ was owned by my Grandfather, then my uncle.. now me.

Ill check those out, I just realized that my low wiper level light wasnt on either.

Blew a Motor? The engine or ventilation blower motor?

Where is this radio fuse at? The OEM wiring on an 87 Renix has one main fuse in the box that powers the radio and blower and wipers and electric door locks and windows (if you have them). If it is an aftermarket radio fuse/wire then that wire is shorting to ground somewhere on its way to the radio.

the inline 10 fuse and the 10 fuse on the back of the stereo were not popped. it's the 15A on the fuse box it's self. I'll definitely check the wiring to my wiper fluid switch as well as the lights on my passenger side mirror.

I am mistaken, the radio fuse is above the blower fuse and is 15 amp. Still could be the ignition switch and its wiring/connectors going bad.

1984_1988_fuse_box.jpg

Back