• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

r/r front shaft bearing 242

00xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I want to r/r the main bearing for the front output shaft on my 242 t-case. I had it split to do the sye and did that o.k. I did that with the case still in the jeep. I don't want to drop the case. I'm trying to elimante a serious vibe, the yoke has a slight knock when you pull it back and forth w/o the front shaft on. The front shaft has all new ujoints, slip yoke, and balance. I can't run it in full time 4wd with the front shaft on, rumble city.

Question, what does it take to remove and replace the front bearing? And is the front bearing the same size as the rear?

As always thank you for taking the time to read this post. I really apreciate your time.:thumbup:

At least in the older XJ 242's the bearings are different between the rear out put and the front. There is also a captive roller bearing assembly that carries the rear of the front output shaft that can be a real PITA to R&R. You do have to remove the front output shaft to R&R the front output bearing, but I can't remember the socket size required for the yoke-retaining nut. The rest of the R&R is much like the SYE install. If the driveshaft is out, swing by the local parts house and try different socket sizes until you find the right one to do the yoke nut. My local parts house doesn't even bat an eye when I do it now days. Also, check the diff pinion bearing. Most of my vibes were coming from it. I blamed it on the T-case all along, but a recent R&R of front gear set and new bearings cured 95% of the vibes.

Bones :skull1:

thanks for the tips,

I just had the pinion/carrier bearings changed a month ago, so I guess the t-case is next.

man, it never ends does it:confused:

Wait a minute. I am having a hard time believing you need a new front tcase bearings on an 00XJ, and front carrier bearings at the same time.

Lets get back to the driveshaft. You said your front driveshaft has all new ujoints, slip yoke, and balance. Did you mean centering yoke? Try this test. Take your front driveshaft off, and stand it up straight on the pinion u-joint. Now grab the cardin joint and rotate clockwise and then counter clockwise around the shaft to see if there is any binding. Now try and move it over the top, from one side to another, again looking for a binding. If at any time, the cardin joint does not move smoothly, then your centering yoke is spent and can cause vibrations.

BrokenXJ said:
Wait a minute. I am having a hard time believing you need a new front tcase bearings on an 00XJ, and front carrier bearings at the same time.

Me 2 but, the pinion/carrier bearings were toast, I saw them the races were pitted like the surface of the moon and the bearings were trashed. Of course, I need to take it back to the shop since it is leaking around the new pinon seal.

Lets get back to the driveshaft. You said your front driveshaft has all new ujoints, slip yoke, and balance. Did you mean centering yoke? Try this test. Take your front driveshaft off, and stand it up straight on the pinion u-joint. Now grab the cardin joint and rotate clockwise and then counter clockwise around the shaft to see if there is any binding. Now try and move it over the top, from one side to another, again looking for a binding. If at any time, the cardin joint does not move smoothly, then your centering yoke is spent and can cause vibrations.
I just checked the centering yoke and it is smooth, I opened it up last Friday and the bearings and spring inside seemed fine.
So I guess it must be the bearing?, who knows, with my luck it's probably the bearing AND something else. I'm afraid people are going to start thinking I'm loosing it,since all I do is find problems with my Jeep, well at least it runs fine in 2wd, I could be walking, wait...I shouldn't have said that, that might be next week.

anymore thoughts??

Should I pull the case or leave it in?

Can I do it wit out the special tools listed in the fsm?

thansk, looks like a turkey day project? I think?

Back