• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick and easy.....Shim question lol

Brett M

NAXJA Forum User
Since I just looked through about 40 pages of search results and couldn't really find what I was looking for, I've got a question.

I just received my RE 1462 (4.5") leafs for my XJ. I will be swapping a NP231 with Tera SYE this weekend along with installing the new leaves (PB Blaster is hopefully working it's miracle on the bolts). What degree shim is recommended to use with these springs? I found lots of answers for using 3.5" packs and a shackle, but none that seemed to address just the 4.5 pack.

Specs are as follows.
1989 Cherokee XJ
4.0L
AW4
NP-231 w/SYE
Rear XJ Dana 44.

Thanks for any help......if you need more info, fire away!

Brett M said:
Or maybe I'll cut the purches off and weld new ones on at the right angle......

Dunno why that thought didn't cross my mind..............

...cause it's a lot more work, that's why!

But for the shims, you're really just gonna have to install and measure.

There's just too many variables...

Robert

Robert 771 said:
...cause it's a lot more work, that's why!

But for the shims, you're really just gonna have to install and measure.

There's just too many variables...

Robert

Eh, not that much more work really. Better option than running shims too. Time to run to Teraflex in the morning :)

if you want a decent guess and want to put em on while you have it apart and the leaves off and since youll prob be taking it apart again anyway but maybe this way you wont, try 4* shims to get started. if it works youre set, and if it doesnt you have to pull em off anyway, but id do 4* myself to get started. then that puts you in the ball park. i would be confident with the 4* shims and then maybe try some lift shackles to point the pinion up a little more if you have to , more lift and flex in the rear and its easier than pulling the leafs again, which ive done on my rig way too many times over the past few months after trying different combos of tcase drops and shims with my stock 231 to get rid of vibes.

if the 4* aint enough maybe start with commanche shackles and go from there...

I'll start with the 4* shim if I don't go with cutting the purches off. The MJ shackles I am assuming are longer. What's their extra height like on lift height?

Brett M said:
Or maybe I'll cut the purches off and weld new ones on at the right angle......

Dunno why that thought didn't cross my mind..............

that is always the best solution...

you ought to do the same thing with your shock mounts - might as well raise them up and get some clearance while you're at it...

So, since it's been over 2 months, I finally installed them. Simple and easy other than the sleeves were fused to the front bolts. Got that taken care of and the springs installed. I'm guessing that these springs NEED longer shackles, since I think that I've heard them hit the shackle mount box a few times. Might have to find a MJ shackle.

Anyone have a guess on how much RE 1462 springs might settle? Or shall I just start leveling out my XJ? :)

And I guess I should sign in under the right name.......

Here's how it looks now.

img111.jpg

Robert 771 said:
Looks nice.

I kinda like the ass-up rake, but to each his own.

Robert

It's about an inch and a half low up front. I'll probably add a 3/4 inch spacer this week. It'll at least still keep the rear higher for when I load it with camp gear.

I ended up with 6* shims when I installed my RE 4.5" SF kit. I tried 4* shims but still had a hint of vibes. Gone after I threw in the 6* shims. hope that helps

OBXJ said:
I ended up with 6* shims when I installed my RE 4.5" SF kit. I tried 4* shims but still had a hint of vibes. Gone after I threw in the 6* shims. hope that helps

Yeah, Teraflex Plus sold me a set of Rubicon Express steel shims a couple months, 6* from what I remember. I bolted those to the springs before install. It's just too much angle for a stock drive shaft. So, 231 goes in soon enough.

Did anyone have problems running stock shackles and RE 1462's?

img115.jpg

Here's how it sits after adding 1' to the front. I still need to do the long arms to get the front axle pushed back forward.

I think it's too tall :(

EDIT: I think that I need to use a real camera sometime instead of my cell phone ;)

Brett M said:
I still need to do the long arms to get the front axle pushed back forward.

I'm sure you've see the longarm-vs-dropbracket debate ad nauseum, so I hate to bring it back up.

But DBs willl move your axle forward, improve your ride and your flex, and have gotten so cheap I just couldn't imagine bothering with longarms.

$.02

Robert

Robert 771 said:
I'm sure you've see the longarm-vs-dropbracket debate ad nauseum, so I hate to bring it back up.

But DBs willl move your axle forward, improve your ride and your flex, and have gotten so cheap I just couldn't imagine bothering with longarms.

$.02

Robert

Yeah, I've heard the debate as well. The good thing is that I can do long arm's for 450, installed. Just have to detail a few cars in trade work ;)

That and I don't like how low DB's hang.........

Back