• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions on geochaching

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
Just tried a couple in our hometown tonight and as much fun as it was we encountered a few problems.

We were using our Garmin Nuvi 1300 that is about three years old. The sensitivity and "actuality" of our location seemed fuzzy at best.

That caused our impatient youngins to be a bit pissed to say the least.

So, does anyone have any advice on perhaps a cheap handheld unit that can give a pinpoint location? Does anyone have any info on using an Iphone 4s as a locater. We live in a cellular timwarp and 4g has just recently come to our area. We have the ability to upgrade to Iphones now... :wow:

Any advice would be appreciated by our 6 and 8 year olds that love to search for treasures.

Look for a used Etrex or 60 series. I'm sure there are tons of people selling them as there were tons of them sold.

As far as iPhones go. I've seen people have mixed results at best with them.

If the GPS got you directly on top of the cache, would it still be a hunt?

Even the best GPS won't do that. Sometimes it happens but usually it's within a 20 ft radius. Sometimes even a lot farther than that, even with the best GPS.

A crappy unit can make it almost impossible and not a lot of fun.

Interesting. Was under the impression that the handheld units would have less of a margin of errror. I guess these kids are going to need to search a little harder and have, gasp, more patience? Haha. Thanks for the suggestion on the unit, I will look into that.

If you go with the E-trex, look into one that can be programmed via cable, it can get old punching them in with the joystick.

Looking for the bigger caches makes it easier, micros can be a real pain

Interesting. Was under the impression that the handheld units would have less of a margin of errror. I guess these kids are going to need to search a little harder and have, gasp, more patience? Haha. Thanks for the suggestion on the unit, I will look into that.

They are more accurate but you never know how accurate the unit was of the guy who placed the cache. At the best of times you might get a 3-5 foot accuracy. So if you take your unit that is within 5 feet and the other guys unit that was within 5 feet, that still gives you at best a ten foot radius. And....thats at the best of times.

There have been times using my 60 CSX that I have walked right up to a cache that has been within 1 foot of where it said it would. Other times they can be 60 feet out. In the end it's all a guessing game.

Keep in mind also that not every cache is still there, maybe just because I'm in NJ but about 10% of the caches I've looked for have gone M.I.A.

I use my Android phone most of the time.

I use the official Groundspeak Geocaching App, "GPS Status and Toolbox" (If you install this app it adds a radar to your Geocaching app) and C.Geo for punching in Coords for multi's.

I also have a Magellan handheld GPS. I prefer the cell phone over the $200 GPS...

Like Ryan said, no matter what GPS you use you're still going to have to look for it.

Once you get a good many finds under your belt they'll get easier.

If you have an android phone or plan to get one. PM me and I can send you something that will help. That goes for anyone, really.

Thanks or all the advice. I looked at the Groundspeak app a little tonight. Unfortunatly for the kids the three we have done have all proven to be dead ends. Sucked to see them so dissapointed that we didnt find any "treasure". We will keep going though. Its great exercise for all of us.

If you could manage it, maybe go find one on your own, then go back and let them find it, at least you will know its there.

I am using the Neongeo app on my HTC Inspire and a Garmin 60CSx

If you are looking to buy a GPSr for geocaching look for a handheld tha you can download date with a USB cable

Back