• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

basic questions on towing

jmg222

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
i'm trying to generate interset in a rausche creek run sometime in march or april. Last time I was out there, though, my wheel fell off on the way home (long story)... I'm tired of lugging all my crap in the xj from long island to penn, having it bounce around on the trail all day, and then being worried all day about breaking my rig and getting stranded.

So, I'm towing this time. I have what I think is a pretty decent tow rig (2014 grand cherokee SRT). I'm thinking of just renting a drive-on trailer from u-haul. Seems almost like a no-brainer to me-- $55/day, they drop it off at a location less than a mile from my house, and it seems to be fairly decent.

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm going to be driving it for over 250 miles, I don't want something that's going to make me regret every mile. if anyone has any thoughts/insights on those trailers, or other trailers I can rent, I'd love to hear them (and any basic advice on towing for a few hundred miles, I haven't really towed anything more than a few miles)

uhaul is really your only option and as far as trailers go theirs are pretty light. they only have two straps and those are only big enough to get around a 32" tire so you'll need straps which will add about $60 to your trip. I work on these things every day, get a newer unit and make sure the shitastic bias ply tires look good and are fully inflated and you should be fine.

When I broke and needed a U-haul home they made me sign a waiver absolving them of anything because they said 31s were too large.

What is the SRT rated to tow?

I have rented U-haul car haulers a couple of times. One trip was about 12 hours on the road, and that included back and forth through Los Angeles traffic. Yippee.

No problems with the trailers though.

I did go to the JY and pick up a pair of stock tires/wheels so as to work around the limitations of the tie down straps. I also added my own heavy duty strap for the rear axle, just to be safe.

The trailers have surge brakes, so no brake controller required, but I suppose those could pose a problem if you needed to back up a steep incline.

Do check the tires though, including pressure. I have found it prudent to air up the tires. It is not necessarily the case that these trailers are seeing consistent maintenance as they move around from one place to another.

seems they changed the exhaust to outsides of the bumper. 7,200 tow rating too. dang. they really stepped up the utility part of the srt

yup... 2013+ has the new styling, with exhaust where it should be, at the corners :)

When I broke and needed a U-haul home they made me sign a waiver absolving them of anything because they said 31s were too large.

What is the SRT rated to tow?

7200 pounds.

Ive never rented one my self. Almost did but found a spot on a gooseneck for a trip. a buddy of mine rented one to tow his tj 215 mile to Harlan last year. He loved it and rented one a few more times after that till he just got a flat bed. He was running 35x13.5 Krawlers with wheel spacers. Fit fine. Trick is to get a new trailer they are a little wider and to tell them that the jeep is stock. But will need your own straps. the front straps can be wrapped around the axle but I wouldn't prefer it. I have a tow rig so can't really speak for towing with the jeep but I'm sure you'll be fine. Just take it easy and keep your momentum for hills and you should be fine.

I have wrapped the straps over the axle many of times. It works perfectly. I have towed my MJ across the country like this 3 times now. I also add a strap to the rear and make sure the chains are secure as well.

Attaching the Straps to the axle via axle straps is the way to go

IF it has the towing package

yes... which on the SRT is just a hitch. Even on non-towing equipped SRTs, there's still a "tow" option on the suspension/transmission selector

But yes, I have the towing package.

I've towed my XJ on a U-Haul trailer a few times. I think they weigh around 2,400 pounds and actually tow pretty well. I had no problems whatsoever.

As others said, you'll want to do a good job strapping it down, which can be hard because there really aren't good tie down spots on their trailers. You'll figure it out though.

IMG_4134.JPG

old thread but i have used one to tow my friends MJ he was selling and it did wonderfully.

i plan on using them to tow mine around texas when we take wheeling trips.
VJWRxRg.jpg

7RCuNrb.jpg

my tahoe did awesome pulling it. we also put some extra straps on it just incase. was awkward to find mounting points but you can work it out.

Back